x

debit, canada...

Since Square does not accept Canadian Debit cards, if I use a separate machine for debit, how will this effect my

inventory on square ?

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @SomiroWellness! I hope you are doing well. Happy Fall!

Wanted to reach out with some good news in regards to your post back in April. As of this week, I am happy to report that we're able to offer full Interac acceptance in Canada! This means that you can now accept chip and PIN payments using the Contactless & Chip Card reader ๐Ÿ‘More info on Debit & Pin availability here. 

Thanks so much for your patience while we brought this feature to fruition! We appreciate you being a part of the Square Community. 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Alumni

Hi @tamaragh

You can still use Point of Sale to complete your transactions. Select the items as usual and enter the tender as "Other" once you've completed the debit payment separately. This will make sure items are removed from your inventory totals on debit transactions. 

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have other questions about this. ๐Ÿ‘

Message 2 of 7
Alumni

Hey there @tamaragh -

I have an update for debit payments - we just launched tap Interac payments for Canadian sellers! When using the Contactless + Chip Card reader, your customers can pay with debit through Square Point of Sale. Check out our post, Square Reader for Contactless and Chip is Now Accepting Debit Tap in Canada!, here on the community. 

Message 3 of 7

We're having an issue with debit card holders who have disabled tap.  A debit card with disabled tap that is inserted into the card reader doesn't pop up a screen to enter the card PIN, it just fails.  Should this be supported for Canadian debit cards?  

Message 4 of 7

Hello @rhoffma2

Currently we only process debit cards via tap. We're working on bringing chip and pin transactions to Canada, but I don't have a timeline I can share. 

If you have other questions please feel free to reach out! ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 5 of 7

I have not even used the reader or mag strip yet as I am just opened for business. When trying to test my mag stripe and reader, I come upon the information that the debit card magstripe is not an option in Canada.  I know so many people who do not use the tap (plus the tap has a max of $100) my fee is $120.  Basically, debit cards are now not even an option for my clients.  I am seriously disappointed in this disvocery. I thought I did a lot of research into the Square when I was looking for a payment method.  I do not recall anything being stated that debit stripe is not available to Canada.  I am disappointed and frustrated I haven't even started.

Message 6 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @SomiroWellness! I hope you are doing well. Happy Fall!

Wanted to reach out with some good news in regards to your post back in April. As of this week, I am happy to report that we're able to offer full Interac acceptance in Canada! This means that you can now accept chip and PIN payments using the Contactless & Chip Card reader ๐Ÿ‘More info on Debit & Pin availability here. 

Thanks so much for your patience while we brought this feature to fruition! We appreciate you being a part of the Square Community. 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 7