x

hardware troubles

I am having a couple of hardware issues.  I ordered a chip reader.  Neither my ipad nor my iphone will link to it via bluetooth.  Now my square reader will not read cards either.  The ipad recognizes it when it is plugged in, but it will not read cards.  When I swipe a card, nothing happens.

Message 1 of 16
1 Best Answer
Beta Member

Best Answer

Hi scolex83,

Troubleshooting hardware connectivity issues via posts can be a challenge.   Just some suggestions here: 

First:  Ensure that your chip reader is fully charged.

Next: Ensure that your Apple devices are running the latest IOS software.

And:  Ensure that your device Square app is current.

Then: Try testing your iPhone and iPad for Bluetooth connectivity - if you have headphones, mouse, speaker or a keyboard that has Bluetooth capability - can you connect any of these devices.  If you can connect any of these devices, the chip reader should also work.

Finally:  Follow the steps in this link to ensure that on your end you're doing everything required.

Last thought:  Yep, it's possible your reader may not be functioning properly (simply a hardware issue) and you will need to contact Square's Tech Support to arrange for an exchange.  Be patient as they will probably go through this whole troubleshooting process again - ask me how I know.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Beta Member

Best Answer

Hi scolex83,

Troubleshooting hardware connectivity issues via posts can be a challenge.   Just some suggestions here: 

First:  Ensure that your chip reader is fully charged.

Next: Ensure that your Apple devices are running the latest IOS software.

And:  Ensure that your device Square app is current.

Then: Try testing your iPhone and iPad for Bluetooth connectivity - if you have headphones, mouse, speaker or a keyboard that has Bluetooth capability - can you connect any of these devices.  If you can connect any of these devices, the chip reader should also work.

Finally:  Follow the steps in this link to ensure that on your end you're doing everything required.

Last thought:  Yep, it's possible your reader may not be functioning properly (simply a hardware issue) and you will need to contact Square's Tech Support to arrange for an exchange.  Be patient as they will probably go through this whole troubleshooting process again - ask me how I know.

Message 2 of 16

I thought I ordered the correct swipe reader for my phone (iPhone 11 Plus) that needs the lightning plug, and I received the one in the mail with the earphone plug on it. How do I contact someone to get it exchanged?

Message 3 of 16
Square Community Moderator

Hi @auntb - Welcome to The Seller Community, it's always nice to see a new face 😊

We totally understand.

Options to contact Square are here. Our support team will be more than happy to get that corrected for you.

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 16
Super Seller

You can get a lighting to audio jack and use that with the reader you got.

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-Headphone-Jack-Adapter/dp/B01LXJFMGF/ref=asc_df_B01LXJFMGF/?t...

Randy Fulk
Korie's Kloset
Big Bows & Sassy Clothes.
Message 5 of 16

are you there?

Message 6 of 16

i need help now anyone there

Message 7 of 16

Hi @mthairguy - Welcome to The Seller Community, it's always nice to see a new face 😊

I'm happy to offer you assistance with your hardware issue. Do you mind letting me know what type of Square hardware you have and describing the issue so that I may better assist?

I look forward to your response. 

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Message 8 of 16

I have a samsung A51 5G Phone the Square i was sent has to wrong jack for my phone

Message 9 of 16

This is not the fist time that my square account is not processing my sells I can not collect very frustrating no one to help the contactless chip readers are not connecting to nothing and I did everything possible to make it work nothing 

Message 10 of 16

Mine isn't working either. 

Message 11 of 16

Hi @UNICOILS - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋 Sorry to hear you are also having some trouble with your Contactless + Chip Reader.

Please see @JJ_'s reply to @loudnessfan86 below for troubleshooting advice and the contact information for our Support Team.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 12 of 16

Mine doesn’t work either.

Message 13 of 16

Hi @Varin8 - Welcome to The Seller Community, it's always nice to see a new face 😊

Sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with your reader.

Do you mind letting me know what reader you have and what difficulty you're experiencing. I'd be happy to troubleshoot this with you right away. 

Ria
Message 14 of 16

am having the same problem too. I have it hooked to my laptop still hoked to the charger,

Message 15 of 16

Hey there @loudnessfan86

Firstly, welcome to the Seller Community + sorry to hear that you're here because you've run into trouble. We recommend checking to make sure that both your app and your mobile device itself are up-to-date. If everything looks good there, then you can follow the steps here to troubleshoot your contactless and chip reader. Once you have tried those if your issue persists you'll want to reach out.

If you haven't already, your best bet is to get in touch with us directly, so that a member of our support team can dig in with you. When you have a moment, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

JJ
Message 16 of 16