x

Feature Request: More than 2 decimal points for tracking inventory

Feature Request: More than 2 decimal points for tracking inventory

What is the status of allow at least three decimal points in items?  2 is not sufficient.  For instance if you are billing for mileage teh IRS rate is 0.535 per mile.  Now the system rounds it up to 0.54 which is not correct.

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How are others that price by a decimal quantities working their charges?

No updates to this functionality at this time, @Zapeng. We'll update here if that changes in the future. Thanks for posting.

38 Comments
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @warcraftman68

Welcome back to the Community! 

The thing with Decimal Quantities is that it was designed to recognize 2 decimal places. If you try to enter a third - it will round up. I appreciate your feedback and would be more than happy to pass this along as a feature request to our Product Team. 

You bring up a great point on adding one more decimal place for similar businesses. Thank you for your diligence! 

It still doesn't work. Yes, they let you go out to the hundred thousand's place, for what reason I don't know it rounds it all the way back to the cents place.

I just tried to say my business cards are .059 per card and it changed it to.06 so for a thousand cards that's a $1 difference. I have told square about this problem. I even told them Quickbooks can do this why cant you.

By the way, Where did you go besides Square? I need to that hundred thousand's place badly

I'm trying to create pricing at $.025 per square inch.  Rounding to the nearest penny causes me to always have to enter a discount line for projects that use this pricing.  In the longarm quilting business pricing at the half cent is normal.  Is this feature going to be available soon.  If not, I may have to find another alternative.

We are experiencing a similar issue with our vendor pricing and reconciling Purchase Orders. Most of our vendors extend out a third place value. This seriously is basic accounting and needs to be addressed. I have submitted multiple feature requests for this and other issues. 

Beta Member

Becoming a new member of the community and Square. I was caught off guard that this issue exists. I would fully appreciate that pricing in 3 or more decimal places will be updated A.S.A.P.

Nope!, Still don't work. It only goes to the hundredths place and I have a lot of items that go into the thousandths and ten-thousandths place and it can make a huge difference in price either way. 

So if each business cards are .049 it pushes to .050 or postcards at .06459 will push to .07. These can make big changes in a finished price.

I have to inventory bulk instead of a per piece which is how print shops price at.

Other invoice programs can carry the decimal place to as far a hundred thousand and further.

I understand your problem, but you are confusing additional decimals in the pricing versus additional decimals in the quantity. What this says they addressed is fractional quantities, not more than two decimal places in the price.

What you can do that will work is to define your pricing as per hundred or per thousand, and then use the decimals in the quantity to accomplish what you need. Instead of trying to price something at .0456 per each, Your pricing could be $4.56 per hundred, and if someone needs 125 you would sell them in quantity of 1.25. I believe you up to 4 digits behind the decimal in the quantity, so you can accomplish a very deep pricing structure this way.

I am an elastic manufacturer and we price our product to the 1/4 of a penny because we sell by the thousands of yards.  So if I am selling an item for $.0725/yd, I need 4 decimal places to price my sale.  Is there a way to change from default of 2 decimal places in currency?

Square Community Moderator

@pennelastic we do not have the ability to extend the pricing/payments of your products. I can see how useful this would be, but the best you can do as a workaround will be to manually calculate the price and round up the last decimal in order to enter it into our system. Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

Hi Square support: 

After setup everything and went live for the store, noticed a fatal issue with Square for Retail.  Its pricing only allows 2 decimal places and auto round off if one enters 2.113 to 2.11 or round 2.115 to 2.12.

This has huge implication, Square is not capturing the price correctly.

That means Purchase Order entered to system wouldn't match to actual invoice when unit price require 3 or more decimal places. 

For example:  A box of 8 ramen costs $13.90, each ramen is $1.7375.  But Square would force it to be $1.74.  So, my purchase order total for this box of 8 ramen would be $13.92.  When in fact it's actually 13.90.  My accountant is gonna be confused and likely annoyed.

I guess it's okay if others only need 2 decimal places in their business. But for those who has similar needs as I do, how are you solving this issue, or not?  I saw other thread mentioned similar problem, making a new one hoping Square support would see it. 

I guess if this isn't anything readily available for this issue, as much as I like the clean interface and quick workflow of Square POS, it wouldn't work for us. 

Thanks,

Mark