x
Beta Member

looking for a way to apply sales tax to specific categories

we upload new inventory lists about once a week ( we have a rotating stock of items coming

and going ) I need a way to add taxes to all new items and not add taxes to a whole bunch of others (ie we have a food category that is tax-exempt but we also sell clothing that is state tax-exempt) I can't turn on and off taxes for 1000s of items every week downloading our inventory to do the edits in excel is NOT a solution either this takes more time then if there were a native option. I hope someone has figured this out I am desperate.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Hello @zmartin

I can definitely see the trouble of having to update so many items daily. At this time, making bulk edits to the item library is only possible via the Export/Import tool. I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers with similar interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 3
Super Seller

@zmartin ;

Google Excel Power Query and watch YouTube Videos.

1 ) Export your Items List   Make Sure Your Food and Clothing is in the Correct Categories

2)  Have Power Query Look through your Categories for exact match of Food or Clothing or wat ever your categories are .... if this is one of these Enter N for no Tax and Y for Sales Tax in column ???? I forget what Squares Tax column is called as I am writing this.

Here is a link to a Power Query Video.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aeZX1l4JT4 

I have watched a bunch of videos on Power Query to export 2 of my Square lists and Merge them together then edit them so that I can save time.  I know there is this feature because I use it for Cash sales vs CC sales.  I have a column that if Cash type in Petty Cash else its Square..... For me Square is my Fake bank account a holding account where my sales hold and Square fees are removed till the deposit moves from Square to my real account.  A checks and balance account basically.  

Again This is why we need subcategories in Square POS and Square for Retail not just online.   You could then have a Main Category of Food for example and subcategories of snacks, Fruit, Vegetables, etc.  Then have No Tax applied Quickly by Power Query to all items in the Food and its sub categories.

I already asked for this feature in Ideate.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 3 of 3