x
Super Seller

pointless signature screen

So everything is working great with square register (other than a bug I found the other day with cash receipts not having receipt numbers printed when automatically print receipt is chosen) but I just thought I'd share a few observations with square register and also the half step the united states took in the transition to chip cards.

1.  Comparing signatures.  It's a step we're all supposed to do, and many don't.  But with square register I turn my Square stand to the customer to sign, then they sign and hit done signing, then I turn the Square stand back to me.  At no point was I able to compare the Card to the signature on screen.  Seems pointless because they could be writing "I stole this card" or whatever and I wouldn't know.

2.  With the chip cards the card is in the reader while signing and finishing the transaction so even if I wanted to compare the signatures I wouldn't be able to.

3. I wish we didn't have this stupid half step to chip and signature, because it's no more secure that swipe and signature, and went straight to Chip and PIN.

4. I wish the qty button on the add an item to the receipt was at the top.  I have to scroll on basically every screen to get to the buttons to hit qty

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square

A lot of great feedback here, and definitely something I'll share with our product liaisons. 

To your first few points: You're right about checking signatures; it is something that should be done in tandem with transactions that do not require a PIN, but is rarely the case (at least with businesses I visit, Square sellers or otherwise.) In any case, that's a great point you bring up about not even being able to do so before the screen is facing you again.

While it can slow down checkout, you can ask for a form of ID if you'd like to verify the cardholder as well. Additionally, if you have a printer connected to your Square Stand, you can enable Sign and Tip receipts. 

To your last point, there's not currently a way to customize the screen where you add an item, so price points and modifiers will be above the quantity selection. Again, great feedback.

On another note, welcome to the Community! I see you've already chimed in on few posts today; I appreciate your help in assisting fellow sellers.  

Message 2 of 2