x

quickbooks vs excel

As I'm winding down my reports for 2022, I wonder if others find Quickbooks worth the cost versus excel tracking for mileage, postage, booth fees for craft fairs etc....

This morning I've had to log into 4 different areas to get all my information in order for me to populate on my excel tracking workbook.

Excel is free, and Quickbooks has a fee, but my time is worth something and I'd like to integrate my apps to QB.  

Feedback please as to what works best for you and your business.  

Thanks -

https://anewpurpose.shop

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

Excel being free you have to figure out what costs your associating with your business not just the few items you have listed, or maybe that is all you actually have for business expenses.

With Quickbooks, I also have not only the costs of booth rentals but I also have Rent, Electric, cable, and other bills so all my financials are in quickbooks, all money coming in and out.  The Reports also help see where money would be better invested.

This is all a matter of how big / small your business is and what helps your accountant out doing your taxes.

So QuickBooks Desktop costs me roughly $700 a year, My accountant costs me 1 time a year but is billed a flat fee plus a by the hour additional fee if over X hrs.  I asked him what he thought I should use, and his answer was QuickBooks.  This way he can upload my data and the computer spits out the information he needs plus a few looks at my Checking accounts to make sure everything matches.

How long would this take him to do if I did an Excel Spreadsheet?   Is his hourly cost worth it? What if I want to sell the business or am audited?  Banks ask for Profit and Loss statements and  Balance sheets if applying for a loan, can I get those from my Excel records?

Since I run my business full time I think QuickBooks is worth it for me.  Now others mention other Accounting Software which is less expensive, which might work for you also.  I just wanted something that would be easy for my accountant and keep track of all types of expenses that I may miss setting up a Spreadsheet in Excel.  

Both can work, and to cut costs you can even use Google Sheets which is free compared to Excel.  My first year I used Libreoffice Calc to track my expenses.

So my advice would be, take your spreadsheet into your accountant and talk with them and see if they can give you advice on if it is worth doing it the Excel way or getting an Accounting package.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 2 of 3

Thank you for the detailed information.  I really appreciate your time.  I'll be visiting with my accountant within the next 2 weeks and as you noted, this will be a great time to discuss I did on my tracking via excel, and if it's time for me to upgrade to QB etc...

Given I'm in the early stages of this business journey selling a product rather than a service as I did previously, I know I have a lot to learn and appreciate the guidance.  All the best.

Sandy

"A New Purpose"

Message 3 of 3