x

sales tax not applied to online sales

I must not have something set correctly.

Sales tax is charge correctly on live sales through the app, but the website is not charging sales tax.

It is charging shipping fine, but no sales tax.

Any ideas what I missed?

Thanks as always in advance

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Super Seller

did you get this problem resolved @janjwoodables ?

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 2 of 11

Not that I am aware of. I have not had another sale through the site since posting this (we don't get a lot of traffic yet)

Message 3 of 11

I'm having this problem too.  What can I do to have sales tax added to the cart at checkout?  

Message 4 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hi there @wsallaman

We did a test on your website, and we were able to see a tax rate in the checkout. Are you able to try again but enter a shipping address? It typically won't show the tax rate until you enter an address, to confirm the tax rate that is going to be applied is accurate to the zipcode. 

Ellie
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 11

This item is still not fixed - I've received a sale yesterday and no taxes were charged. Not sure what you are doing or seeing but this has been going on for a year now. Good thing I don't use the website as my primary income source or I would be screwed!

And the tax rate that is in the settings is Wrong - it has changed and there is no way that I can see to change the tax rate!

PLEASE HELP!!!

Message 6 of 11

Duplicate reply - ignore

Message 7 of 11

Hey there, @janjwoodables

Sorry to hear you're still having issues getting your taxes to apply to your online orders. 

From everything I can see, your taxes are set up correctly and should be automatically applying to all US orders. I am going to recommend reaching out to our CS Team directly, so they can take a deeper look into this for you. Also, they can take it a step further and file a ticket with our engineers. 

You can use this phone number to get in touch with them directly: 1-855-700-6000. They will be available Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm CST. 

Kassi
Message 8 of 11

Thanks @Kassi for trying to help

I called that number Monday 2-6-23 @ 4:45 Central time and the recording told me I've reached them outside normal hours.

Not the first time this has happened which is why nothing has been done on this issue for a year now!

The support of this product is one of the worst I've ever experienced!

I only put up with it because the alternative options are worse!

Message 9 of 11

So sorry you weren't able to connect with our CS Team. At the time you called, we were experiencing a massive payment outage. Our phone support paused their availability to be able to handle to extremely high volume from that outage. 

Everything has resolved and you will be able to get through if you reach out again.  

Kassi
Message 10 of 11

Thanks for your response @Kassi 

I have isolated the cause of this.

If "Shipping" is selected, no tax is applied but a shipping rate is applied

If pickup is selected, tax is applied!

Message 11 of 11