x
Beta Member

square register touchscreen issues

Hi,

We recently updated from our old iPad based square system to the new Square Register, at first we loved it, looks amazing and our customers loved the customer screen which we had been looking for in a system now for a couple of years.

About 2 weeks ago we noticed some issues starting to pop up for us, at first we thought it was just a faulty screen so proceeded to return and swap for a new unit, testing it at the shop before we left it was good and worked fine.

Once we got back to our shop with the new unit we found that it was working fine just like at the shop we brought it from.

Come the next day we get setup for opening, everything worked well right up until we turned our fridge lights on, at first it was only occasional that the screen would stop working, after a few days we found it got worse.

This weekend we decided to do some testing and found when our lights are on they cause the touch screens to stop working, not all the time but enough to make you want to chuck it out the door.

A few of the things we have tried

1. moved the square register to opposite end of the shop
    1. This did work for about 5 minutes, once someone walked past the display fridge with the lights the screen stopped working.
  2. Added Ferrite beads to all cables (display lights & register)
    1. This has had some affect on the amount of RF being picked up but still causes issues when someone is near the display fridge.

We have found a work around for now which is not ideal but seems to work, if we are using the screen we have to be touching the metal casing of the screen for it to work, as said this is not ideal as sometimes you only have one hand free and having to wait for the screen to catch up on an $1100 system shouldn't be one of our issues.

I will be getting an electrician to come check our display lights and see about converting them from Fluro to LED lights.

if anyone can think of anything to try in the meantime im open to suggestions, 4 weeks in and im ready to get a refund and go to another system.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Beantree,

Thank you for writing in and sorry to hear about the issues you're having with your Square Register. I understand your frustration! 

As troubleshooting this further via our community forum is limited, I'd suggest reaching out to support in this case. The team will be able to file a support ticket with engineering about this issue, and likely ask you for a video showing what happens to your touch screen in store.

You can reach support on 1800 760 137, Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm Melbourne time or contact us via online chat or email here

Message 2 of 3
Beta Member

Hi Arie,

Thanks for the response, i had already spoken to support about this issue however their option was to just return the register to officeworks and have it replaced for a new unit.

I will give them another call and see if they can assist with our issues again now that we have a bit more testing and knowledge about the cause. 

Thanks.

Message 3 of 3