x

taxes not charged

I just had my first online sale, and Square did not charge the sales tax, even though I have it entered to be charged on my dashboard.  How can I fix this?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Square Community Moderator

Hey @SSLink!

Happy to help here.

Is it possible you have a tax percentage set up but no items that it's applied to? Taxes have to be applied to items specifically for the tax to charge and won't apply to custom amounts that you key in with no item rung. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 18

I'm having the same issue.  Have setup two taxes and all items are checked off.  Taxes are NOT included in item price yet when a customer goes to our product and checkout, it says taxes $0.00

Help!!!

Message 3 of 18

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 7.15.09 PM.png

Message 4 of 18

Hey there, @Fresh_Fetch  - 

Thank you for reaching out in the Community! 

Taxes are added whenever your customer checks out. Are you using the app or Virtual Terminal when you aren't seeing taxes added?

The screenshot you provided looks like the Edit screen for a particular item. On this screen, it will show you the taxes automatically applied. If you need to make any tax changes check out this Support Article. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Message 5 of 18

Thanks Kassi.  I was able to do it via Settings/Taxes using country code.  The tax rates set on the items did not work though.  Not sure why there are two methods and only one worked.  Is it because I don't have a physical store and all our items are for delivery and or shipping?

Message 6 of 18

@Fresh_Fetch

Ah I see. Is it not charging through your Online Store or Point of Sale transactions? 

Kassi
Message 7 of 18

At this point, we only do online store

Message 8 of 18

@Fresh_Fetch

Hmm.. this is odd. I am going to recommend contacting our CS Team directly, so they can take a deeper dive into your issue with taxes in the Online Store. 

Please use this link to get your Customer Code to reach them.  

Kassi
Message 9 of 18

Hi, I have the same problem with the online store. Taxes are not included at the checkout. If I use the app, it is working. Can somebody help me please? Thank you, Dan

Message 10 of 18

Hi @DANTANGUAY Welcome to the Community 😊

Have you setup taxes through the Square Online dashboard? There is also a setting on the page that will allow you to sync itemized taxes setup from the Square dashboard, but these settings will only apply to pickup and delivery orders. Shipped orders will apply taxes based on your settings for the online store.

Message 11 of 18

Hi @BernadetteA Good morning! I did all that, apply taxes to items and everything is working fine in the APP (If I use my iPad to do an invoice to someone taxes are included) but if someone go to the online store, the taxes and delivery charges are not included in the price. 

Message 12 of 18

Can you post a link for your online store? 

Message 13 of 18

Message 14 of 18

Thanks! How are you planning on fulfilling the items? I tested one item for shipping, and saw tax applied on the checkout screen when I entered a destination address. 

You previously mentioned "delivery" but your store is not setup for delivery or pickup options yet. You can change this by navigating to the Square Online dashboard, and then clicking Fulfillment > Pickup & Delivery > Edit Location.

Let me know if that helps, or if you still need assistance. 😊

Message 15 of 18

I really appreciate your support and explications ! I will send the items by ''Postes Canada''. Did the shipping apply to your test? (I ask 15,00$ by delivery, no matter how many items). I agree I don't want to deliver but send items only by mail.

Can you test if the shipping is charged at checkout?

Thank you very much! I really really appreciate. 

Message 16 of 18

You're welcome! 😊And, yes, the shipping is charging on the checkout page. You just have to make sure to enter a shipping address in order for the shipping rate to apply to the cart. 

Message 17 of 18

Great ! Thank you for everything, really appreciate your help 🙂

Message 18 of 18