x
Super Seller

Bakery Thread

Hey fellow bakers! I wanted to start a thread for us to connect and help each other. I know our businesses operate differently than restaurants or retail - we're like a weird in between. With holiday season upon us, I wanted to offer support to anyone who may have difficulties with the online store, or inventory management for pre-orders, and the like. Basically, hoping this becomes a general bakery thread where bakers can help each other since we have different pain points than other business types. 

Here's one thing I do for pre-orders. I make sure I write the available dates for pick-ups on the pages itself and on the item listing. I even edit my confirmation email to include information about the holiday pick-ups. I also add a modifier to each item asking customers to pick their pick-up date. I've also added pick-up time in the past but I'm testing this Thanksgiving without it. I make it clear that we will go based on their selected pick-up date and not what their receipt says if they forget to schedule for later. I do list how to schedule for later and people have actually been good about this this pre-sale. I've also discovered that we can now edit the pick-up date and time on Square dashboard so that's been helpful. We print out all of the online orders forms and sort them based on their selected pick-up date. When we go to fulfill them, I'll also print out the report of orders from weebly so I have another way to double check we have everyone's order. I would really love to be able to sort/filter orders based on pick-up date but hopefully that comes soon! I find it easier to mark orders as ready on the dashboard instead of the ipad or register so that's what we do when we have many orders. Hope this helps!

What are some ways you've found to work around weebly/square limitations for pre-orders? 

May your Thanksgiving orders be plentiful!! 

with love and sprinkles,

Ali 

Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

HI Ali, so glad you did this thread.  I'm not a baker.  The pre-sale steps you created are wonderful.  Please make an individual thread for just the Pre-Sale steps.  I enjoy helping regarding the Online Store editor and I've seen many inquiries about Pre-Sales.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Terri

🛍 Shop my store

Resale Collection - http://bit.ly/HangerHues

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 2 of 6

Thank you for starting this thread. I've just started my little bakery and I'm really struggling with the set up of Square. I am renting kitchen space so have very limited business hours and I find it VERY frustrating that there aren't better options for preorders (and building in 2-day lead times for things like cakes), at least that I can find. I hope they offer something soon!

Message 3 of 6
Super Seller

For our thanksgiving and Christmas reorder we went as far as creating Pre-order items for those day with the modifier to select which day the customer picks up. 

Square needs to get its act together on inventory. We have to keep a paper for tally at the checkout because there is no way to stop a sale from overselling in store.

Message 4 of 6

Does anyone have experience with using Square for cottage baking (licensed home baking)? I don't have a retail location and I don't keep inventory, only custom orders. But I'd like to use Square for invoicing, swiping cards with my phone, and website management. I don't want to set up for orders like a restaurant would. I don't even know which business type to chose to set up my account as I'm not sure if food/restaurant or retail works best for me. Please provide what works for you and what you use it for!

Message 5 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hello @CabinCreek,

We see its your first post in the Seller community , congrats and welcome! 😊

You don't necessarily need a physical location to use Square. There are plenty of food trucks and unique businesses that use our point of sale app!  

With regards to choosing the best Merchant category code (MCC), you can select the one that is most relevant to classify your business by the goods and services you provide.

All the features you mentioned that you'd be interested in using sound like they'd be a great fit!. You can also always contact our Phone support team to walk through the functions of the app and account set up. Likewise, there are great resources and often times videos on our support site too. 

Look forward to reading your response. I'm happy to help answer any other questions too!

Frida
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 6