x

Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

Beta Member

Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

We need to be able to preauthorize credit cards when running a tab. Period.  We really enjoyed the low buy in and easy menu development and a couple of the other features, but a bar/restaurant needs to be able to run a tab and preauthorize a credit card.  I've gone back and looked at conversations about it and it appears that this has been a CONSTANT request by users that has gone ignored.

I'd like to know why it isn't available.

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

It IS FOR SURE COMING!! 🙂 they’re running beta testing on it now, so hang in there, I almost switched, glad I didn’t because I really do like the company but this definitely has been and issue that’s cost me hundreds of $$. Hopefully testing goes well and it rolls out soon 🙂

698 Comments

Was just about to ask this same question. I would love to have this option now that we are open for outdoor dining.

A feature I am seeing frequently requested is an "open tab" option. As a restaurant general manager, I know it would vastly increase the sense of security for our guests, increase speed of service, cut down on "walk-outs", and be useful for all types of businesses that use square (not just bars/restaurants).

Alumni

Thanks for supporting this thread! @MexcaBrew Welcome to the Community 🙂

So has this option been added yet where we can add a holding deposit through Square? 

Beta Member

Ashley, what is the status on this? We are constantly dealing with cards being left by customer's because we have to hold onto them. Because of this one missing feature, saving payment information with open tabs, you are bleeding out a ton of business in the brewing and bar industries. We have stuck with you for years including payroll and marketing services, but are strongly considering a different POS as this is becoming a bigger problem as we have grown. Clearly there is a demand as we and many others have requested this feature for years.

We operate a small brew pub and agree that this feature is paramount.  Theres way too much liability involved with a business holding a customers credit card (we've accidentally given the wrong card to a customer in the past- what a nightmare that was).  I'm sure Square hasn't made this a priority due to the liability on their end to store someones card info.  If they walk out on their tab then the card is charged at the end of the night.  Were considering switching to a new POS that will allow this feature.  

we own a wine bar and would like to know if square has the capability to save CC to prevent walk outs?

Alumni

@LeighannS - merged you to the thread you're looking for. Check out Isabelle's best answer. 

Chuckpub,

It's been 5 years since this has been requested.  Until people start leaving and it costs them money, they won't listen.  I also run a small brewery with a taproom and we're currently shopping around for other options as Square absolutely will not listen about this or any of it's other feature requests.  Frustrating to get ahold of anyone with problems.  Square is great at many things, but this is not one of them.  

I cannot agree more. We left another POS system that has this feature and I am now regretting that change.