x

Self service

We have a grab and go, self service coffee bar.  It's on the honor system - no set pricing.  I'd like to set up a QR code so people can pay.  I've tested the donation option but we are exchanging money for goods and services so that won't work.  Is there any fast way that people can scan a qr code and money through square without setting up a store?

Message 1 of 3
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@sumckitchen one restriction on the square point of sale system with online and self serve ordering is that all items have to have a price associated with them.  What you could do is set up items with the various levels you want to offer for them to pay with $1.00 being the minimum.  So you would have say 20 items: 1$, 1.50, 2.50. 3.00 4.50...etc etc. all the way to 20$ 40$...and you would make the name of each item the price for that item.  When the customer goes to order you just instruct them with signage to pick the amount they want to pay and complete the transaction.  Just keep the items incremental denominations of maybe a quarter or fifty cents and go from a dollar up.  Maybe by dollar amounts over 10 etc.

What you can't do is have an open item with no set price.  But I think this workaround would work for you if you want to experiment with that.

Donnie-M

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

Best Answer

@sumckitchen one restriction on the square point of sale system with online and self serve ordering is that all items have to have a price associated with them.  What you could do is set up items with the various levels you want to offer for them to pay with $1.00 being the minimum.  So you would have say 20 items: 1$, 1.50, 2.50. 3.00 4.50...etc etc. all the way to 20$ 40$...and you would make the name of each item the price for that item.  When the customer goes to order you just instruct them with signage to pick the amount they want to pay and complete the transaction.  Just keep the items incremental denominations of maybe a quarter or fifty cents and go from a dollar up.  Maybe by dollar amounts over 10 etc.

What you can't do is have an open item with no set price.  But I think this workaround would work for you if you want to experiment with that.

Donnie-M

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 3

Thanks @Donnie-M.  I will try that.  However, as I keep looking, I see an option under Online Checkout > Create Checkout Link > Collect a Payment> Advanced Settings > Allow Customer to set the price.  I tried this and the form is blank but it appears Square is trying to make an open ended payment possible.  

Message 3 of 3