x
Beta Member

expiration date of goods

it would be SUPER helpful if there were a field to add in the expiration date of items and get an email when things expire or a month beforehand.  it could be something under variations perhaps... or at least so we can add in that info. we had been adding it in the description field but then the customers can see it online which isn't the most professional. as an additional field would be best

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

I want to upload food items that have an expiration date. How can I create items for Square to notify me when they are expired?

PS. I use Point of Sales. It is not a restaurant. We have a sport store with products like gel, capsule and drinks.

Message 2 of 12
Admin

@skyrossports

You can upload your items and put the expiration date in your Item description. 

The item description will not notify you of these expirations, but it is a way to record them, and we've seen sellers using this function to organize their items by using this field.

If you have set expiration dates that are more consistent over a longer span of time, you could also use the category function to put all items expiring on or around the same date in one specific category, allowing them to be managed more quickly and at a glance.

Not perfect solutions, but I will definitely surface this to the Product Team as a Feature Request. 

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 3 of 12

I 100th that motion. I need it too. I have 2 grocery stores, both on square for retail. Over 1,300 products and more products coming. We already have issues spending hours updating inventory counts because purchase orders don't use case quantity and we sell individual products,  not cases,  so square tracks individual items. So we can't mass feed the inventory on receipt of the order. Have to manually add them, plus build new profiles on square and online, price things,  make room on shelves,  and so on. We don't have a way to track the expiration dates so when customers find them we to explain what best before means to the health department and offer a discount then put the rest on clearance.  Not having expiration tracking is costing us money. I'm sure the devlopment team can do this.

Message 4 of 12

I've been asking this forever.... I have a small grocery store and EVERYTHING  has an expiration date. I have to pay a different app just to do that job, because apparently is too complicated for Square Software Engineers to develop that.

Unbelievable.

Message 5 of 12

What other app do you use if you don't mind me asking?

Message 6 of 12

I have a natural food shop and keeping track of Best Before Dates on products is starting to feel overwhelming as our stock increases. I would love to be able to capture this information in Square for Retail. I recently upgraded and I love being able to capture the Vendor and Vendor Product Code for each item. What appears to be missing is a way to capture a date and receive a notice as it approaches. What I'm imagining would be similar to the Low Stock Alerts that I currently get. I could then be sure I have either marked down or removed any items that are nearing or past this date. Any ideas? Perhaps this already exists in Square and I'm missing it? Perhaps there is another field I could repurpose for this use? Thanks!

Message 7 of 12

I run a small convenience store so we have both products that expire and that don't. Its tough with the wide variety trying to keep track of what is expiring and what isn't.

Anyone have any suggestions even if its a different software I could use in conjunction.

Also @Square please add this as tracking feature !

Message 8 of 12
Alumni

Thanks for surfacing. Definitely heard this request before. In the meantime, I'll mark your post as another tally mark on the back end so our Product Team can see the growing need for this feature. 

@BarbTour

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 12

Same here. Retail business that has perishable products and hard to keep up with expiring products. Need square retail to do that. It already allows custom field all we need is to make it date field and enable automated notifications.

Message 10 of 12

Hey Justin,

any updates? I'm willing to pay a fee if necessary. I'm honestly considering changing my system because it's out of control.

Message 11 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @BarbTour

Jumping in for Justin on this one. 

No update on this Feature Request, once there is more information one of the Community Moderators will post a Product Update with the announcement. 

Thank you for adding your voice to this request. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 12 of 12