x

Anyone have a customer do a "charge-back" on items after they ship?

Anyone have a customer do a "charge-back" on items after they ship?

I have a customer contact me through my online store to order bulk items. They want to pay through Square and I am not sure if they might receive the shipment and then do a charge back to keep their money and my stuff. Is there a way to check a customer's previous transactions like on eBay how you can see what other people rate transactions with that person?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Alumni

Hey @QAlpha 

Good question!! I'm glad you reached out to us first. There isn't a way for Square to check a cardholder's previous card activity, but this article should give you a few best practices for accepting eCommerce payments.

Tagging a few Super Sellers that use Square Online to pick their brains. Thoughts? @MAXSDELI @Donnie-M  @HC_Charlie  @vinesandrushes  @VanKalkerFarms @ryanwanner @pieous @TCSlaguna @pessosices 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 5
Super Seller

Not sure what you mean when they do a charge back...do you mean dispute the charge with their credit card company? I've never encountered this before; all of my online orders are paid through Square on my website with a customer's credit card. If there was an issue or if the customer wanted to say it wasn't them who made the charge, like in the case of stolen card or fraud, they could contact their credit card company to file a dispute, but that involves some additional steps and isn't an instant reversal of charges from what I understand.

If you're unsure about doing business with a particular person for a rather large order, you could split the order to see how the first transaction goes...than if no problems charge/ship the additional quantities.

Message 3 of 5
Super Seller

I have had people contact me to buy a large amount of my products, and say they would pay upfront for half and then give me a CC to have on file to pay for the shipping.  Then I find out that the shipping would be out of the states.  So basically this seemed to shady for me especially when they would ask for pricing of the items but not give which items they contacted me about from my website which has the prices listed.  Also be on the lookout for people trying to say they do not get your coupon code to work.... these codes are from fake coupon sites.  We had a bunch of complaints before that our coupon codes were not working, and we had no online coupon codes.  I mean one code was for $100 of any item, buy a $20 candle and get $ 100 off of it?  Or buy 1 item and get 3 of equal value Free.  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 4 of 5
Beta Member

Hey QAlpha,

Per what you posted, a buyer/customer doing a charge back after ordering is a red flag, this is a common SCAM - they want your item and don't want to pay for it - in many scenarios such as this, it's up to the credit card corporation to make the final decision - although Square processed the transaction, the credit card corporation has the final decision - sadly it's not always in the seller's best interest - you can protest however, there's legal fees and more.  

Message 5 of 5