x

How do I choose an internet plan for my business?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Business Internet Plan

Starting a new business and using the Square Register. Trying to determine appropriate Internet plan to get. Don't want too little - but also don't want too much. Any suggestions on dataspeeds (download and upload) and GB of high speed data needed for a simple, one-register operation in a rural country store?

Message 1 of 6
2 Best Answers
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey @HollisStore!

I'll leave this open for other sellers to comment on as well but I think this would be something you'd want to reach out to your local providers about.

It's dependent on the area what speeds and connections they can offer so calling around would be best!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 6
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @HollisStore 

Congrats on starting the new business!

So the cool thing is that the internet data used for just register transactions really isn't a lot. It's just a quick send up once the transaction is completed, so you really shouldn't need all that much. If you have multiple devices, internet connected cameras, music, etc, and if you or your employees would be using your phones, then that would take much more data and require faster speeds.

What are your options and price points with your internet provider?

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey @HollisStore!

I'll leave this open for other sellers to comment on as well but I think this would be something you'd want to reach out to your local providers about.

It's dependent on the area what speeds and connections they can offer so calling around would be best!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 6
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @HollisStore 

Congrats on starting the new business!

So the cool thing is that the internet data used for just register transactions really isn't a lot. It's just a quick send up once the transaction is completed, so you really shouldn't need all that much. If you have multiple devices, internet connected cameras, music, etc, and if you or your employees would be using your phones, then that would take much more data and require faster speeds.

What are your options and price points with your internet provider?

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 3 of 6

These are the most economical plans that I am hoping one will be a good fit for me.  The intent is to only have our register using the Internet plan...

- Option 1 - Download speeds up to 35 mbps. Upload speeds up to 4 mbps. Includes 1 GB of high speed data. Additional usage - $10/GB

- Option 2 - Download speeds up to 35 mbps. Upload speeds up to 4 mbps. Includes 10 GB of high speed data. Additional usage - $10/GB 

- Option 3 - Download speeds up to 35 mbps. Upload speeds up to 4 mbps. Includes 20 GB of high speed data. Additional usage - $6/GB

I'm guessing Options 2 & 3 are what I'd be choosing from but not sure...

Message 4 of 6
Super Seller Alumni

If you're only using the network for the Register, you should be good with Option 2 and possibly even Option 1? But definitely Option 2 to be safe.

Are you using the network for your phones or employee's phones, or music, web-browsing, or anything else?

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 5 of 6

Great - thank you!  At this point, it does look to be only for the Square Register. 

Message 6 of 6