x

Asks to remove chip card when no card is in the reader

Since the last update our card reader is inconsitent. The words 'Remove Chip Card' come up on the screen with no chip card is inserted. It won't take Apple Pay. Asks us to remove chip card to engage Apple Pay and again there is no card in the slot. 

While it is authorizing it says to remove card and then errors out.

We are running into sluggish issues too. Takes a while to recognize what we are entering. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Alumni

Hey @kennysipes - Sorry you're running into issues with your reader. Have you already tried the troubleshooting steps? If so, I'd recommend reaching out to the team directly so that they can help you determine the source of the issue and advise on any next steps.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 2 of 9

We are getting the same error too. Tried a reset, it didn’t help.

Message 3 of 9
Admin

@Arfalberta I'm sorry to hear you're also experiencing this issue! 

When you have time, can you go through all of the troubleshootings steps listed here. You should also make sure you're running the latest version of the Point of Sale app on your device. 

If you continue to see this message, you can also call our Customer Success team and they'll be able to open a ticket with our engineers to investigate this.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 9

We are experiencing the same issue.  Tried all the trouble shooting and nothing has helped.

Message 5 of 9
Alumni

If you purchased the reader within a year, file a warranty for a replacement. If the purchase date is longer than a year ago, purchase another from our Shop

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 9

Been having the same issue and they said they would see with the engineers and get back to me with a resolution. My problem happened when a customer removed his card too fast because he had put the wrong one for the payment. 

Still I haven't had anyone contact me for this in over 2 months. What will you do to fix this ? Will I have to go with a more reliable machine ?

Message 7 of 9

I am having the same issues. The chip reader stopped working mid-day and asks to remove chip card when no card is inserted. I’ve troubleshoot  and still happening. Any tips

Message 8 of 9

Getting same message. Tried to reset the reader, deleted bluetooth cache, removed reader from bluetooth connections. Uninstalled app to make sure it was the latest version. Reconnected reader from the Square app and not the bluetooth of the phone. Still the same problem. I got this error when a customer removed the card too fast because it wasnt the one he wanted to use.

Message 9 of 9