x

Can I connect multiple devices to a single Square reader?

To be able to use the Square POS & Reader in a busy bar / restaurant environment multiple devices would require connection to a single reader. This would enable the bar tenders to each have a device (such as an iPhone) to use the POS app to take sales from across the bar with the ability to take card payments also. There is no need for every bar tender to have their own reader as this would be expensive and a logistic nightmare.

A busy bar could not have an iPad and Square POS setup as a replacement for traditional POS as customers would not be able to type in their chip numbers on that iPad due to restricted access. 

Therefore the Square Reader requires a keypad so this can be handed to customer in the same way a traditional PDQ machine is used. 

Could you provide a solution or suggestion to how the Square Reader and POS could be used within a busy bar environment? 

Message 1 of 5
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Drinkery.

The Square Contactless Bluetooth reader can only be paired to one iPad at a time.  You could have a central iPad for taking payments. You could also get the Chip readers although I don't recommend them because you have to charge them.  Or just use the plain Square Mag Swiper.

I purchased the otter case that holds the contactless reader, but I only needed two. Yes, there will be some upfront cost but there always is with a new POS system.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Drinkery.

The Square Contactless Bluetooth reader can only be paired to one iPad at a time.  You could have a central iPad for taking payments. You could also get the Chip readers although I don't recommend them because you have to charge them.  Or just use the plain Square Mag Swiper.

I purchased the otter case that holds the contactless reader, but I only needed two. Yes, there will be some upfront cost but there always is with a new POS system.

Message 2 of 5

Do we turn off Bluetooth on one device to prevent interference 

Message 3 of 5

Fr5

Message 4 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Fr5 - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community๐Ÿ‘‹

If you have multiple devices with Bluetooth turned on, your reader might pick these up. You can find the steps for pairing your reader here in our Support Center.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 5