x

Cannot pair because device is rooted (but it isn't)

I'm trying to pair a Reader for Contactless and Chip Cards with a Samsung Galaxy S5.  It says "Device Not Supported Rooted devices are not supported.  Please try another device or remove Root from this device."

As far as I know, the device has never been rooted.  I verified with Supersu and Root Checker, both which reported the device is not rooted.  I uninstalled those apps.

I used to have developer mode enabled, so I disabled it.  When that didn't work, I cleared Settings's settings to remove that option completely.  That also didn't work.

I verified that "Settings" / "About" - Security Enhancements for Android reads "Enforcing" and
"Settings" / "About" / "Status" / "Device Status" reads "Official".

Verified that my device is compatible. It says it requires Android 5.0+; I have 6.0.1.

Uninstalled and reinstalled the Square app, after logging out.

Rebooted, powercycled phone, powercycled Square reader.

The mag strip reader does work.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Sorry to hear about this situation @Datk.

We are only performing integrity checks on the devices and when the rooted message pops up is only when the Android System integrity check did not match that of a never-rooted phone. 

I have personally experienced this in the past and the only thing that helped me (keep in mind that this is not something Square is recommending but just me) was to restore my phone to factory defaults. While this isn't convenient at all it was the only option that worked at least for me.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

My phone also says this.  But sometimes it works!!  And stops working 30 minutes later.

Suggestions??

Message 2 of 10

I eventually swapped devices and started using an Android tablet.  It worked for a couple of days, and then refused entirely to pair, with no error.  Tech Support's determination was a hardware failure in the Square reader.  By that point our event was over, so I just returned it for a refund.

Message 3 of 10

Me too; tried with two different LG V60 ThinQ (not even rooted though). Same issue on both so maybe a compatibility issue with LG phones? Will retry with my older phone an LG G6 that was working fine. Stripe reader also works fine on V60.

Message 4 of 10
Beta Member

I'm so frustrated with this issue. The Square app says my device is rooted. I've run SuperSU that confirms it and checked my device status which comes up as "official". The strange part is my partner has the identical phone and it works for him. We have an event this weekend and I now need to look for a new device which may or may not work and it will cost me more to try and get the square working than we may make at the event... livid.

I called the help desk...useless. I looked through similar threads across square ... still nothing.

In Australia they mentioned some apps may be interfering so I removed most of my apps... still not working. Honestly this has been the most frustrating experience

Message 5 of 10

Best Answer

Sorry to hear about this situation @Datk.

We are only performing integrity checks on the devices and when the rooted message pops up is only when the Android System integrity check did not match that of a never-rooted phone. 

I have personally experienced this in the past and the only thing that helped me (keep in mind that this is not something Square is recommending but just me) was to restore my phone to factory defaults. While this isn't convenient at all it was the only option that worked at least for me.

JJ
Message 6 of 10

Hello

I've the same problem "Cannot pair because device is rooted" 

I did everything mentionned above but i did not "restore my phone to factory defaults"

The mag strip reader of a friend does work.

Any Suggestions for model bought in october 2022  ?

Message 7 of 10

Hello, @FoundationSOB 

If you have never rooted your device then I suggest reaching out to the retailer you purchased your phone from they may be able to assist in identifying why your device is detected as rooted.

JJ
Message 8 of 10

I have a Samsung S24 ultra. I have tried uninstalling the app & reinstalling. It says the reader is connected in the pairing, but shows as not connected as soon as I go back to the POS page.

Message 9 of 10

Hi @Stinkyk9spa - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

I went ahead and merged your post to an existing thread where other Square Sellers have discussed this as well. We merge duplicate conversations together to keep like comments in one place, and to make it easier for others to find the thread in the future. 

Please see the reply from one of our Community Moderators, @JJ_, which has been marked as the Best Answer to this question

I hope this information is helpful, and is able to resolve this issue, but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 10 of 10