x

Damaged reader

I was gifted a card reader from a friend but when I connect my app to it, it says it’s damaged. I tried to get an exchange but looks like it only does exchanges to US and not CAD. Can someone please help or tell me how to change so I can exchange through cad address? 

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @Amanaleid  - I'm sorry to hear that this issue with your Contactless + Chip Reader has brought you to the Seller Community 😞

It sounds like your card reader is no longer functioning correctly due to a failsafe we’ve put in place. To ensure you and your customers are protected, we have built physical security measures directly into your chip card reader. Unfortunately, these security measures can sometimes be triggered by accident, like rough handling or dropping Square Reader, resulting in the device becoming deactivated.

Once a Contactless + Chip Reader has been deactivated, the only way to get back up and running is to have the device replaced under warranty. To submit a warranty claim:

1. Sign in to your account to start the warranty claim process.
  2. Select the product you want to warranty from the list of eligible devices or enter the full serial number (14-16 digits) and select “Look up serial number.”
    • If you enter a serial number for a device that is not associated with your account but is eligible for warranty, select “Add this device.” Once the device is added, you’ll see a confirmation message.
    • Note: Ineligible devices outside of the warranty period will not be listed.

3. Choose a reason for the exchange from the drop-down menu.

4. Select Continue to view or edit your shipping address.
    • We recommend using a physical address for delivery, as there may be a slight delay or issues if being shipped to a P.O. Box.

5. Select Continue and enter your billing information.
    • Note: You will only be charged if we do not receive the original hardware within 14 days of Square delivering the replacement hardware.

6. Select Continue and review your shipping and billing information.

7. Select Submit claim to complete the warranty claim. You will also receive a warranty confirmation email of your warranty submission. This email will include a link to generate the prepaid shipping labels. Square will pay for shipping both ways.
    • Within 14 days of receiving your replacement hardware, send us your old hardware including all original cables and accessories. Use the same box your replacement unit arrived in and apply the prepaid label provided in the confirmation email. Make sure to remove any previous addresses and/or barcodes.

8. Enter your phone number to receive text messages with tracking updates.

Your replacement hardware will be shipped when you place your warranty claim. Review your warranty confirmation email for an up-to-date delivery estimate and tracking.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions 🙂

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Alumni

Hi @Hinata! How long has it been since your reader was first purchased? If it's been within a year, warranty the reader through this link

Justin
Message 2 of 8

Hi there, I did not purchase my reader I was gifted it but not sure how long ago it was bought 

Message 3 of 8

Hey @Hinata! What happens when you try to go through the warranty link? It should tell you it's not eligible if it is over a year. 

AshleyK
Message 4 of 8

How do you fix a damaged reader?

Message 5 of 8

I've merged your post to this thread, where someone else had the same question, @caragon. Please let us know how you go!

PS. I noticed it's your first post, welcome to our community 👋 

Message 6 of 8

I have the same issue with my reader and even I get another one from Walmart but same issue appears in my app 

I move my payment to a bank machine back 

I all ready lost 2 days of business 

I m afraid to purchase another one and the problem still 

the support chats didn’t help me at all 

3 agent try but nothing solved my problem, all of them told me to buy new one 

Message 7 of 8

Best Answer

Hi @Amanaleid  - I'm sorry to hear that this issue with your Contactless + Chip Reader has brought you to the Seller Community 😞

It sounds like your card reader is no longer functioning correctly due to a failsafe we’ve put in place. To ensure you and your customers are protected, we have built physical security measures directly into your chip card reader. Unfortunately, these security measures can sometimes be triggered by accident, like rough handling or dropping Square Reader, resulting in the device becoming deactivated.

Once a Contactless + Chip Reader has been deactivated, the only way to get back up and running is to have the device replaced under warranty. To submit a warranty claim:

1. Sign in to your account to start the warranty claim process.
  2. Select the product you want to warranty from the list of eligible devices or enter the full serial number (14-16 digits) and select “Look up serial number.”
    • If you enter a serial number for a device that is not associated with your account but is eligible for warranty, select “Add this device.” Once the device is added, you’ll see a confirmation message.
    • Note: Ineligible devices outside of the warranty period will not be listed.

3. Choose a reason for the exchange from the drop-down menu.

4. Select Continue to view or edit your shipping address.
    • We recommend using a physical address for delivery, as there may be a slight delay or issues if being shipped to a P.O. Box.

5. Select Continue and enter your billing information.
    • Note: You will only be charged if we do not receive the original hardware within 14 days of Square delivering the replacement hardware.

6. Select Continue and review your shipping and billing information.

7. Select Submit claim to complete the warranty claim. You will also receive a warranty confirmation email of your warranty submission. This email will include a link to generate the prepaid shipping labels. Square will pay for shipping both ways.
    • Within 14 days of receiving your replacement hardware, send us your old hardware including all original cables and accessories. Use the same box your replacement unit arrived in and apply the prepaid label provided in the confirmation email. Make sure to remove any previous addresses and/or barcodes.

8. Enter your phone number to receive text messages with tracking updates.

Your replacement hardware will be shipped when you place your warranty claim. Review your warranty confirmation email for an up-to-date delivery estimate and tracking.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions 🙂

Violet
Message 8 of 8