x

Error message for Contactless + Chip Card reader, "Account Ineligible"

The title of this thread was updated from its original title: “Contactless reader gives error message. Account ineligible. Does anyone else have this problem??”.

Contactless reader gives error that says account ineligible. Does anyone else have this problem??

Message 1 of 21
2 Best Answers
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @Suzypapillon - I'm so sorry that you are seeing this error message - especially since the Contactless + Chip Card reader is brand new for Canadian sellers. 

This error is produced when a card reader from a different nation is used. For security reasons, the card readers are specific to each nation. Attempting to link a card reader intended for a different nation permanently deactivates the reader.

Where did you purchase your Contactless + Chip Card reader? 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 21
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @VancouverSeller - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community. I'm sorry to hear about your frustration with your card reader.

Did you purchase the Contactless + Chip reader through the Square Shop? If so, there is a 30-day return policy on all hardware purchased directly from Square. You can return your reader by following the instructions listed here. Additionally, you may want to take a look over this Support Article on International availability. Here, you will find more details on where you can use your Square reader and hardware.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 17 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @Suzypapillon - I'm so sorry that you are seeing this error message - especially since the Contactless + Chip Card reader is brand new for Canadian sellers. 

This error is produced when a card reader from a different nation is used. For security reasons, the card readers are specific to each nation. Attempting to link a card reader intended for a different nation permanently deactivates the reader.

Where did you purchase your Contactless + Chip Card reader? 

Message 2 of 21

USA

Message 3 of 21

When you say permanently deactivates the reader, will my USA reader which I just tried to pair with my Canadian account, now not work with my USA account? 

if this is accurate, I’ll be contacting customer service for a new free reader. 

Message 4 of 21

Hello, @Cyle. Welcome to the Seller Community! 

Correct, at this time, readers are locked to the first country that they are used. This is due to the installation of encryption (security) and processes needed by each Country to process payments. 

JJ
Message 5 of 21

I used it last year with no problem. I bought it in USA and used it there also

Message 6 of 21

Funny, I have just had this as well on mine.  Bought in the USA and trying to use in Canada.  Its kind of messed up as my square account is made in Canada.  Seems weird when the magna swipe will work fine.  Looks like I have to buy a chip reader in Canada, unless support can do something about it.

Message 7 of 21
Alumni

Hi @mcinb - welcome to the community. 

Card processing regulations can vary from one nation to another. For security reasons, it is not possible to use the Contactless + Chip Card reader outside of the nation it was intended for. Attempting to link a card reader intended for a different nation permanently deactivates the reader. 

Please make sure to only use the Canada Contactless + Chip Card reader for your Canadian seller account. 

Message 8 of 21

Where can I return my USA chipless reader to replace with a Canadian reader? Why was this not told to me when I bought it in the USA and specifically told the teller that I was from Canada?

Message 9 of 21
Admin

I'm very sorry that this wasn't made clear when you bought your reader @Linda52! If you bought the reader in store you'll need to contact the retailer for the steps to return your reader. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 10 of 21

Help me get my square working please

Message 11 of 21

help

Message 12 of 21

Hello there, @charlie002 Whenever you have an urgent request we always recommend reaching out to our phone support team. You can give them a call at 855-700-6000 between 6 am - 6 pm Pacific Time Monday-Friday. If you call outside of these hours, you will be required to enter your Customer Code to validate your account.

If you are receiving this error, it means that your reader was set up in a different Square-approved country. An example of this would be buying a used Square Contactless and Chip reader that comes from Japan (and was used by a Seller in Japan) and trying to use it in the United States.  Devices get locked and provisioned in the country they are first used. 

I hope this information is helpful!

JJ
Message 13 of 21

Hello   Can support please help me

Message 14 of 21

I bought my reader today and got this issue. I understand this is by design. However, now that ive paid for this device and it has been bricked by design where can I go to replace it? Im in Vancouver Canada

Message 15 of 21

I would like to stress that it is not clear that this can happen, i would have never bought it this way if that was clear. I searched for compatibility and all i got was  ...Square app is currently available in the US, Canada, Australia, Japan, the United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, France and Spain... AND ...you can take payments anywhere your customers are...

Message 16 of 21

Best Answer

Hi @VancouverSeller - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community. I'm sorry to hear about your frustration with your card reader.

Did you purchase the Contactless + Chip reader through the Square Shop? If so, there is a 30-day return policy on all hardware purchased directly from Square. You can return your reader by following the instructions listed here. Additionally, you may want to take a look over this Support Article on International availability. Here, you will find more details on where you can use your Square reader and hardware.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 17 of 21

Hello Violet, thank for your message but unfortunately it does not help me. I've bought the reader trough ebay and even checked online before i did so. ...The chip reader is not tied to any specific account, it only acts as a data transmission device to send the card's information to the device. It's the account into which the device is logged that determines what business gets the information. You can safely sell or give away your reader with no repercussions at all to yourself...

I cant return this to the seller now, because as mentioned, its disabled permanently. Additionally it was sold to me with the understanding from both the seller and myself that this can be done without issues. Knowing this limitation i would have bought directly from you but this limitation was not communicated anywhere untill i searched for the specific issue as it occured. Now the device is a paperweight and Ive wasted money

Message 18 of 21

Thanks for following up with those details on the situation, @VancouverSeller.

It sounds like the eBay seller you purchased this reader from originally purchased the reader outside of Canada.

Square’s hardware is subject to testing and certification for compliance with country-specific regulations, such as for FCC compliance in the United States, or Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) compliance in the EU. Therefore, Square’s hardware is only approved for use in the country for which it is intended. For example, hardware sold or intended for sale in the United States is not approved for use in Australia, Canada, Japan, Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom or France.

Violet
Message 19 of 21

Thank you @_Violet for your response, I understand that this is a Hardware limitation not a software limitation as mentioned by RUSSEL in 2017. I reached out to the service team and they confirmed this with me as well.
I will attempt to return the reader and purchase trough your website or approved retailer.
I would like to request that this does get mentioned somewhere clearly so that other people don't make the same mistake.

Thank you for your responses and time!

Message 20 of 21

Absolutely, @VancouverSeller ! I wanted to make sure you had some resources and information on this before making any further moves so you know what to expect this time around. I understand it's frustrating to have not known this beforehand. I would feel the same way 😞 I'll see about tracking down the right team to make this information more visible on our resources for the Contactless + Chip Reader.

We certainly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and feedback 🙏

Violet
Message 21 of 21