x

Error message for Contactless + Chip Card reader, "Reader Damaged - Use a different reader"

The title of this thread was updated from its original title: “Anyone else in Canada already have their contactless chip reader stop working?”.

After waiting seemingly forever for debit/tap services in Canada, I was very excited about the recent launch of these services for Canadian merchants - ordered my reader immediately and received it last week.  Worked perfectly for about 3 days, now it won't pair and displays the "Reader Damaged - Use a different reader" message.  Seriously?  I babied this thing and followed all instructions to the tee - has anyone else had issues with hardware failure?  There is not a troubleshooting process I haven't tried, so I am left to assume that the device has indeed failed inside of a week.

Going through the return process is not something I have a lot of time for, and waiting another week or more is even a greater disruption now that I have advised all of our clients that we finally offer debit and tap services ... Square, please advise as to how I can fastrack a replacement for my new tap reader and dock.

Message 1 of 25
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @PurpleEssential

I am really sorry to hear about this. This message appears when the reader has been damaged, it can happen if the reader is dropped or mishandled during shipping. You will have to complete a warranty on this reader so we can replace it for you. 

If you need more help, please let me know. We can have a team member reach out by email ASAP. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @PurpleEssential

I am really sorry to hear about this. This message appears when the reader has been damaged, it can happen if the reader is dropped or mishandled during shipping. You will have to complete a warranty on this reader so we can replace it for you. 

If you need more help, please let me know. We can have a team member reach out by email ASAP. 

Message 2 of 25

Received replacement units, and they seem to be working fine ... thank you.  However, I can find no info as to the return postage label.  It was not in the box, and I cannot find it mentioned in any of my email correspondence ... how do I acquire a prepaid shipping label?  With only 14 days to return the item before being charged, please advise at your earliest convenience.

Message 3 of 25

@Russell I have been waiting for someone to respond to my request for assistance regarding the return of hardware. I never received postage label for return box and cannot get anyone to instruct me as to how I can print one. The 14 day return window is closing and I want to be sure I have documented my numerius attempts to avoid extra charges ... please advise

Message 4 of 25

Hello @PurpleEssential! I'm filling in for Russell! I'm sorry about the delay it took to get you a return label. I saw this morning our Support Team was able to generate one for your! If you have any questions please let me know! 

Message 5 of 25

Ok support, explain to me why my reader went this way right after the app update??

Message 6 of 25
Alumni

If your Square Point of Sale app was recently updated, but you haven't had a chance to ensure that your mobile device software is up-to-date, please take a moment to check on that! If you're continuing to run into troubles, try these troubleshooting steps.

If you're still seeing this message, please give us a call so that a member of our team can take a closer look, @DNS11.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 25

Everything on my app is up to date and I have called you guys and I was told because my reader is over a year old that I had to buy another one. Why should I spend another $60 for another reader for this to happen again?

Message 8 of 25

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “reader”. The original author has been notified via email. 

I just received my reader and when I am trying to pair it, it is saying that the reader is defective and to get another one.  What do I do now?????? This is the beginning of a busy time, sales, etc. and I now have to reorder? send it back? wait for another one? What??   I have emailed Square about this but I need this now, not another 2 weeks or whatever.  Any ideas what is the best solution??  

Message 9 of 25

Depending on what reader you have ( card reader that plugs into your phone or the chip reader)...If it's the card reader they cary them at staples...I think they are 19.99...if you need it right away I'd get one there and deal with square for a refund. (I know it's free from square but you have to wait for delivery) Card reader is more $$$ but again if I had to have it NOW I'd do the same thing.

Hope that helps!

Steve

Message 10 of 25

Thanks for the tips.  But it is the debit card reader that I ordered.  I have found how to return the one sent and request another one to be sent.  Have also returned the damaged one, so hoping this all works out asap.  Yes, it is extremely frustrating when I had to wait so long to receive it and then it didn't work.  But hopefully the next one will be ok. 

Message 11 of 25
Alumni

Thanks @GSB_Steve for the tips on getting a Magstripe reader. This is definitely a good backup for credit card processing. The Contactless + Chip Card reader will be available at Canadian retailers like the Apple Store and London Drugs by early November. 

@darlene2 - it sounds like you have the Contactless + Chip Card reader. I'm really sorry for this, it isn't the type of experience we want you to have at all. The fastest way to resolve this is to complete a warranty on this reader. 

Again, I am very sorry for the inconvenience, let me know if I can help you with anything else. 

Message 12 of 25

Thanks Russell, yes, it is the Contactless + Chip Card Reader that I received.  As I mentioned above I did finally find the method of returning, actually already returned the original, same day as claim, and am now waiting for the new one.  Here's hoping I have no problems with it.  Thanks.

Message 13 of 25

So, I did everything immediately, filled out the return forms and sent the reader the same day.  I have been advised that the replacement reader has been sent out but as of today, Wednesday, I have nothing!  Also, the "Trace your Package" does not work.  It only tells me that there is no information on the package.  Really?  

This is getting verrrrryyyy frustrating!!! I have a huge event this weekend, 3 days, and am wanting to be able to offer debit.  

What do I do now??????????

Message 14 of 25

I am having the same issue, and my event is on Saturday coming.  I’ll assume that there is no fix for the reader/dock.  How quickly can I replace my reader?

Message 15 of 25
Admin

@DavidHaveli

If this is a new reader - you can file a warranty replacement by giong to this link. Square Readers have a one year limited warranty, and we'd be happy to get this out to you.

In a pinch, I'd suggest ordering new one from Amazon or purchase at a local retailer, and return that when your warrantied replacement arrives since you have an immediate need. 

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 16 of 25

Yes bit like the other person said on here, as soon as I updated the reader it crashed. This happened to mime just over the year.  I contacted square and they won't do anything about it. 

Message 17 of 25

What happens to the ones that are just over a year? The he'll with them? It's caused from the update so obviously there was a bug. But who cares right,as.long as square makes there money that's all that matters lmao

Message 18 of 25

I'm having the same issue, mine started right after my app updated. 

Message 19 of 25

Ive used my reader 3 times and it failed. I think instead of ordering another one ill be finding a different one from a different company. 

Message 20 of 25

I know it's sad,the money you pay for these readers they should last a hex of alot long than what they do..I'm not happy with square at all

Message 21 of 25