x

Google pixel 2

I just received my free square reader and am playing with it and the app to make sure I'm all set to go before my first weekend as a vendor.

But, after plugging my reader into the Google headphone dongle, it isn't recognized by my phone at all. I have a Google pixel 2, and checked my settings to be sure I've got a compatible version which I do. 

I tried my reader on my mom's iPhone and it works fine. How can I make it work on my phone? I can't really afford the cardless reader at this time

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hi @MNC! Welcome to the Seller Community. 

Unfortunately the dongle is not a supported or tested device so there's no guarantee the magstripe reader would work with that phone considering there's no headphone jack. 

If you can't get it to work, you'll have to use another device with the magstripe reader or get one of our Contactless + Chip readers.

Really sorry for the inconvenience this causes. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

Hi @ashc thank you for your feedback! That's good to know. 

I restarted my phone and also removed and reinstalled the app, which seemed to be the magic required as it worked this morning when I tested it. I'll make sure to bring a back up though, just in case... Thanks for your input! 

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

@MNC Oh that's wonderful! I'm glad to hear it's working for you. 

Sometimes turning it off and back on really does some weird magic haha. No problem at all! Happy to help any time. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4