x

My Square Reader for magstripe (with Lightning connector) won't swipe any debit or credit card.

My Square Reader for magstripe (with Lightning connector) won't swipe any debit or credit card.

It says that the card declined. I call support and told me that it might not work because the credit card or debit card has a chip... all cards now have a chip and the image on their website for the square reader shows a card with a chip. 

Can someone help me out here.... why won't it take any payments?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Active-Med! Welcome to the Community.

If you just have the magstripe reader- those will only process credit cards in Canada. 

For debit you would need the Contactless + Chip reader or Terminal

If it is credit and still declining- it might be on the customer's end and they'll need to contact their bank to see why it declines. 

It sounds like it's declining because that reader you have doesn't take debit cards though. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

Why does it say it accepts debit if it doesn't though?

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Laderoute - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community. Happy to provide you with some additional information on this. 

Square can definitely process US-issued (and also most internationally-issued) magstripe and chip cards bearing a VisaMasterCardAmerican ExpressDiscoverJCB, or UnionPay logo.

Check here to see which card types are accepted through Square

While you can take chip cards with the Magstripe reader, we recommend using the Contactless + Chip Reader due to the EMV Liability Shift. The Contactless + Chip Reader will protect you from EMV payment disputes since it compliant with the EMV system. Depending on the card issuer or bank, some transactions may require the card to be swiped for an extra layer of security for the cardholder.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let us know if you have any additional questions. Always happy to help! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4