x

My Square chip doesn't read Canadian debit card.

The bulk of our customers use Canadian Debit Cards , with chip. Most dont have the tap option. The Square reader wont allow chip payments on these debit cards. Is there a fix in the works for this issue? Thank you !

Message 1 of 19
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

currently, only interac debit is accepted via tap in Canada.  other forms aren't currently supported.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Super Seller

Best Answer

currently, only interac debit is accepted via tap in Canada.  other forms aren't currently supported.

Message 2 of 19
Beta Member

Same for me. Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to find another payment company, because that is also my primary method of payment. I don't want to force people to use credit cards, (also more expensive for me) and many of my services are over $100, so even if they have tap (contactless) enabled on their card, they couldn't check out with Square. 

Message 3 of 19

This is also causing me some serious headaches as many of my customers' debit cards do not currently have tap capabilities.  I am without a phone line for my business and rely on Square heavily.  I sincerely hope that this is something that they are working on.

Message 4 of 19

Hello @Awesomedetailer, @eclipsvianet, and @MKM

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble this has caused for you and your customers. We are working to bring chip and PIN debit transactions to all of our Canadian Sellers, but I don't have a timeline I can share for when it will be available. Once it is available we will make an announcement on the Seller Community! 

Message 5 of 19

Has chip insert become an option for debit interac cards? I am having the same issue where I cannot process a debit card payment by chip insert. It says "cancel payment and tap card. Return to checkout to tap card if it supports contactless payments or try to use a different payment method". When I try to tap it says "unknown card brand. Please use a different card". Did I do something wrong in the set up where I need to add all the different brands of debit cards?

Kat

Message 6 of 19
Super Seller

you can't dip a debit card and take payment via chip.  currently, only Interac debit is accepted via tap, other debit cards aren't accepted yet.  What is the card you are trying to tap?  does the customer have Interac Flash tap enabled?

Message 7 of 19
Beta Member

Hi Kat  No, you didn't do anything wrong. I keep hoping that if those of us needing to have CHIP and PIN for debit for our businesses speak up enough, Square will put the technology into place for us. Being able to only tap a debit card is extremely limiting for Canadians, as there is $100 limit on tap. That means that we either need a different POS provider, or have to force people to use a credit card (if they have one). Many of my clients have started e-Transfering money to me, but that can be difficult for some people. I have also found that many people have not activated flash technology on their card, for concern that someone may try to gain access with an unauthorized reader, (or in case they lose their card) so essentially they can't use debit at all. We depend on CHIP and PIN for debit in Canada. I hope Square pays attention. 

Message 8 of 19

I agree with the need for sellers to be able to take debit (chip and PIN) payments in Canada. Interac Email Transfers have limitations too as it can take time to get confirmation that the money is sent. My experience is that even with auto-accept enabled, it takes an EMT 10 minutes to reach me. That's too long. As well, EMTs have a minimum $10 requirement.  

Message 9 of 19

It's a serious headache for all Canadian businesses. I hope you guys will find a fix soon because otherwise, I'll change my POS for another company that does allow it.

Message 10 of 19

Really Square? I donโ€™t remember seeing anywhere on your information when I was looking for a provider that you donโ€™t accept Canadian debit cards with chip/swipe options only. Itโ€™s ridiculous that you have not implemented this function already for Canadian vendors. Get with the program! Youโ€™re hurting our businesses. This means I have to get another POS provider for that purpose only? I paid big bucks for the hardware and if I donโ€™t use is itโ€™s a waste of money for my business.

Message 11 of 19
Admin

Hey @thegolfden, I'm really sorry for the confusion. We are working to expand payment options in Canada, though I don't have access to a specific timeline for the rollout. For more information, have a look here: Interac FAQs. We'll be sure to update our Support Center and circle back to this post as soon as more options become available.

๏œ๏ธ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 12 of 19

Do you know approximately date? I hope you guys will find a fix soon because otherwise, I'll change my POS for another company that does allow it.

thanks 

Message 13 of 19

Checking in to find out if there is an ETA for debit chip transactions yet. This feature is so important for both of my businesses that run on square. 

Message 14 of 19
Admin

Thanks for checking in @Zot and @omarafoodshali. Unfortunately I don't have any updates I can share as far as a launch goes. But we will absolutely share updates when we know more. Thanks again!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 15 of 19

I agree 100% - this is a HUGE headache for us Canadian Retailers! Come on Square you can do better, or you're going to lose alot of business up here!

I just changed over to Square a couple of weeks ago (I also didn't see any reference to $100 tap/debit limit when I was ordering the hardware), and am having serious regrets - I might go back to my old processor ๐Ÿ˜ž as my customers are used to paying debit over $100 with no problems. I was excited to have "new technology" - tap, Apple Pay, etc...but this seems more archaic than my old system.

I'm unsure what to do here - wish Square would give us a timeframe...if we knew chip insert was on its way I could maybe hold out.

Message 16 of 19
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @rusticsoap! We hope you are doing well. 

Wanted to reach out with some good news in regards to your post back in January. As of this week, I am happy to report that we're able to offer full Interac acceptance in Canada! This means that you can now accept chip and PIN payments using the Contactless & Chip Card reader ๐Ÿ‘More info on Debit & Pin availability here. 

Thanks so much for your patience while we brought this feature to fruition! We appreciate you being a part of the Square Community. 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 17 of 19

Great news indeed! Is there still a maximum dollar amount? Is it still $100?
Thanks!!

Message 18 of 19
Square Community Moderator

@rusticsoap No $100 limit anymore! You can check the link above for more details about this change as well. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 19 of 19