x

Why is my printer-driven cash drawer not being recognized by the POS app?

[Note: The title of this post has been edited by a moderator for clarity.]

Purchased a Square Stand iPad kit. The Printer Driven cash drawer is not recognized by Square POS app. The POS app is looking for a USB cash drawer. The printer works and prints receipts. Updated the POS app.

Message 1 of 9
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @Jiveturkeylegs1, I'm sorry -- that sounds really frustrating. The detailed troubleshooting steps here (including rebooting your device) should help get your cash drawer back up and running. 

But if you're still not able connect the cash drawer please call our team so we can investigate this further!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Never mind! The printer cable to the cash drawer can only be installed one way. I reversed it (read the labels on the cable) and the cash drawer works!

Message 2 of 9

I am having trouble getting my square stand to auto-open my cash drawer.

My setup is the following:

Ipad Air 2

Square Stand

Star TSP100II (USB)

Star CD3-1616 BK58-S2 receipt driven cash drawer

My square stand recognizes the printer but not the cash drawer.  In settings>cash drawers it says "cash drawers connected via a receipt printer will not appear here.  To learn more about supported cash drawers and how to set them up, visit the Suppot Center."

I'm having a hard time finding anything in the support center, other than what I have added below, about setting up a printer driven cash drawer.  All I am seeing is information about USB cash drawers.  I am seeing at least 100 people confirming that they use this same drawer with Square stand.  Perhaps there is some other variable in their setup that I am not aware of that is different from mine.

Thank you for your help.

This is all I have found:

Troubleshoot your Cash Drawer:

• Make sure you have an active Printer Station created for your receipt printer. You can enable a Printer Station by navigating to Settings -> Printers -> Create Printer Station.
  • If you already have an active Printer Station, ensure that at least one toggle is active under the Printer Station “Printer from this device” section.
  • Ensure that your interface cable is properly connected to both your printer and cash drawer. If it looks properly connected, try unplugging and reconnecting both sides of the cable. If that doesn’t work, try switching which device each side of the interface cable is connected to.”
  • Restart both the Square app and the device running the Square app.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Message 3 of 9
Admin

Hello @birdnestburgers!

I'm sorry for the frustration this is causing. I've moved your post to this thread where another seller reported a similar issue. Can you check the cable is the right way around? It's a small step but an important one!

I also recommend taking a look at this Set Up Guide which is a step-by-step guide to configure your hardware. If you're still having trouble though please give our CS team a call so we can help!

PS We received both of your posts but for some reason the first one was marked as spam (pasting information from our Support Center might have caused that). Apologies for the confusion!  

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 9

This was a case of user error on my part.  The printer was new and had not been loaded with paper as it had not arrived yet.  I assumed the cash drawer would work without the printer being loaded.  Alas, it would not.  Loading paper into the printer solved the issue and everything is working fine now.  

Message 5 of 9
Admin

Oh, I see! Thanks for letting us know what the issue was — sounds like you're good to go now! 😀

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 6 of 9

I still have this trouble and all the things that have been suggested fail to work. My setting still say usb cash drawer not found. It worked before an update and now it doesn’t recognize my drawer that’s printer driven

Jive Turkey Legs
Message 7 of 9
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @Jiveturkeylegs1, I'm sorry -- that sounds really frustrating. The detailed troubleshooting steps here (including rebooting your device) should help get your cash drawer back up and running. 

But if you're still not able connect the cash drawer please call our team so we can investigate this further!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 8 of 9

I know this is hella old but In 2021 I'm having THE SAME issue.

So here was the resolution. 

Check the cable/cord connecting the cash drawer to the printer. Should be the old school, telephone type. READ THE LABEL ON THE CABLE/CORD!!! The side that says PRINTER needs to be connected to the printer box. 

So simple but in my rush I missed that. 

Also, be sure in ACCOUNT->PRINTER-> you have the option selected to print receipts. And be sure you unlock the drawer with the key. Key slot should be vertical (up and down).

keywords

printer connect connection can't cannot not can cable cord telephone lan setup set up ipad usb tablet mini air ethernet bluetooth compatible won't will square machine manual old school stand

Message 9 of 9