x

Square Terminal won't connect to Iphone7 Hotspot

I've been using the terminal since it first came out. It originally worked like a charm to use my phone as a hotspot -- recently I just can't get it to find my phone and connect to it. 

For the past two days it worked that I went back to factory re-set and manually entered the phones hotspot address and it connected. Today that won't even work. 

I'm expecting clients in the shop any minute and had to revert back to the contacless reader --this is frustrating. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Square Community Moderator

Hi @theolivesparrow - thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community. Happy to have you in the fold!

So sorry to hear about your continued troubles with you Square Terminal and your mobile hotspot. This is very strange, indeed - considering that the factory reset normally nips these sort of issues in the bud.

Let's try this. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds until you see a black screen with a count-down timer. Keep holding down the power button on that timer goes to 0 and the screen says you can release the power button.

Once the reset is complete, youโ€™ll need to:

1. Go back through basic setup questions like your time zone.
2. Reconnect to the internet.
3. Sign back in with your email and password or device code.
4. Add accessories such as cash drawers, printers, scanners or scales. Learn more about connecting compatible hardware to Square Terminal.
5. Adjust any settings back to your preferences.

Keep me updated! I want to make sure this gets solved for you.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 9

That's what I had to do yesterday to get it working, today, that didn't work either -- it simply can't find my phone -- I tried it at least half a dozen times to get back to do the reset. 

I am in a large commercial building with a lot of wifi's that pop up. I am wondering if that might be the issue. However, after the reset where I specifically ask it to find my phone, it's still not working. It keeps telling me that it's timing out. 

I am in Canada, so I am using my data. I've even re-set my phone to see if that might work, nothing. 

To handle a couple clients I've dug out my contactless square device, however, I need to get my terminal back up and running. 

Message 3 of 9

Got it, thanks for giving that a try @theolivesparrow. I appreciate it.

Go ahead and flag this over to our Support Team when you get a chance. They can assist by getting some 'hands on' work with your Terminal and run some troubleshooting diagnostics with you.

We will keep an eye out for your contact!

Joe
Message 4 of 9

Thank you Joe -- I have sent an e-mail, as I'm hearing impaired and the phone is challenging. 

Message 5 of 9

Ah, I see! Thanks for the update, @theolivesparrow - our Support Team will be in touch via email soon! Cheers!

Joe
Message 6 of 9

I got the same problem. I did once then the next one did not work on that. This is the reason I bought this item. If it doesn't work on that, I use hotspot all the time. This is one of the selling point. You know your company provide the system aren't complete. How I can trust it on the other service? Please let me know how to solve this problem. I have no choice to return this item back if the problem won't solve.  

Message 7 of 9

Hey there @Tomhi. I am so sorry to hear you have been having issues with your Square Terminal. If after following @Joe's troubleshooting steps your issue is not resolved we may need to dive deeper / take a closer look at your account and the device.

If you haven't already please reach out to our Hardware Team so they can investigate this for you and hopefully provide a solution.

JJ
Message 8 of 9

I am not connect iphone 7, I am connect iphone XR and 13 pro. It was one time connect my hotspot than it had never found my iphone hotspot. If it won't work on that, why your company keep selling this item? This isn't portable terminal, how I can doing a business? I just want to know if your company can solve this problem or not. If your company can't solve the problem. I will return this item. I need the answer. 

Message 9 of 9