x

How can I troubleshoot my contactless and chip card reader so it connects with my device?

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Square Up stopped working and wont connect

Hello. My Square Up suddenly decided to stop working. I tried to forget the device and try to connect again but it wouldn't even flash orange lights. Then, it had trouble being recognized by bluetooth.. After a while, it got recognized and started flashing orange lights again...but it still won't connect. There's no response (no loading) and it continuously flashes orange lights without stopping unless i press it again. I've tried everything (uninstalling and reinstalling, charging my device, turning on/off wifi, data, and bluetooth, restarting my phone). Please help..Thanks 

Message 1 of 2
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Oh no, @UnicornCo - so sorry to hear about your Contactless & Chip Card reader struggling to connect. This is frustrating for sure. I'm glad you posted here and let us know.

In most circumstances, pairing issues can be resolved with these troubleshooting steps, but there is an occasional situation in which the reader may need to be warrantied and swapped for a new one. 

One thing I do want to ensure is that you are attempting to pair the reader directly from the Square app in lieu of from your devices Bluetooth Settings - a common misstep that we see from time to time. It's also worth checking to see if your device has any pending software updates available. We often push out periodic app software updates that coincide with Apple & Android, which can deprecate the app if one is updated without the other.

Let me know if any of this steps help resolve the issue! Our Support Team is standing by if you need any help at all.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Oh no, @UnicornCo - so sorry to hear about your Contactless & Chip Card reader struggling to connect. This is frustrating for sure. I'm glad you posted here and let us know.

In most circumstances, pairing issues can be resolved with these troubleshooting steps, but there is an occasional situation in which the reader may need to be warrantied and swapped for a new one. 

One thing I do want to ensure is that you are attempting to pair the reader directly from the Square app in lieu of from your devices Bluetooth Settings - a common misstep that we see from time to time. It's also worth checking to see if your device has any pending software updates available. We often push out periodic app software updates that coincide with Apple & Android, which can deprecate the app if one is updated without the other.

Let me know if any of this steps help resolve the issue! Our Support Team is standing by if you need any help at all.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2