x

"Device Not Supported" error with contactless

I am using an Android Galaxy S3 running 5.0 (this is supposed to be compatible with square).

I am using a contactless chip reader that I was able to use on another phone with no problem.

When I try to connect my contactless reader to the square app, I received the following message: "Device is not supported: Google was unable to verify that your device is compatible with Android".

Can anyone help me? This is a relatively urgent issue as I need to be using the Square Reader tomorrow.

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @MarkusBones - Sorry we're just getting to your post.

Have you checked the device compatibility page? I'm not seeing the Samsung Galaxy S3 listed here: https://squareup.com/ca/compatibility?platform=Android&brand=Samsung

It looks like you might need a different device to pair with the contactless and chip reader. Sorry about that!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @MarkusBones - Sorry we're just getting to your post.

Have you checked the device compatibility page? I'm not seeing the Samsung Galaxy S3 listed here: https://squareup.com/ca/compatibility?platform=Android&brand=Samsung

It looks like you might need a different device to pair with the contactless and chip reader. Sorry about that!

Message 2 of 10

I am having the same problem with a G52 phone. There is no one at square to help me. I have tried EVERYTHING in there help list and NOTHING works. I have lost sales because of this problem. I have tried telephoning for help and all I get is sent to their "online chat" which is **bleep** USELESS. Why should I have to buy another phone just to use my square. If they really wanted to help their customers they would provide proper support where you can talk to a human or they would fix the problem with their software. If there was another POS terminal company I could use, I would gladly switch. I am so frustrated and angry with square. I am sure that I am not the only one who feels this way.

Message 3 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hello @unhappywithsq,

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know. I am sorry you have not gotten the support you need. You can reach Phone Support at 855-809-9000 (English) / 855-700-2000 (French). 

I just want to confirm the phone you are using is the Samsung G52. And it won't pair with the Contactless Chip Reader anymore,  Is that correct

Message 4 of 10

My Galaxy A52 phone pairs successfully with the reader but then I get a message that says device not supported and the reader won't work. I have tried phoning your support team but I get a recording telling me to go to the chat on on phone. There is no human to talk to. I am tired of wasting my time with this issue. I have spent 5 days trying to get my reader to work. I have done everything on your troubleshooting list multiple times. Nothing helps. The reader has paired successsfully with my phone but then refuses to work. I have even purchased a new reader and have the same issues with it. I have since returned the new card reader as I am tired of wasting time and money on this issue. It has cost me sales and I have a festival to attend on the weekend. I need the card reader to work or I will loose sales big time. If you are really a human and not just another automated reply, you can call me to help me with this issue. I will not be phoning square again and am already shopping around for an alternative POS to square.

Message 5 of 10

Hey @unhappywithsq, thanks for your post. Sorry to hear you've encountered this issue with connecting your reader to your phone. 

After checking the compatibility page, the Samsung A52 should definitely be compatible. 

Since you've already tried our troubleshooting steps, would you mind providing me with a little more information on the issue you're experiencing? Do you receive any error messages on the screen when you try to connect the reader? If so, would you mind sending over some screenshots of what is happening n the screen? 

The more information you can provide the more equipped we will be at resolving the issue for you. Thanks!

Message 6 of 10

did you not read my previous post??? The reader pairs and then I get the message "device not supported". I am not wasting any more time on this issue. I have a festival to get ready for. As a temporary solution, I am using my old phone this weekend. 

Message 7 of 10

We hate that this has been a such a frustrating experience for you @unhappywithsq. I am sure you have tried this but if not, please reset your reader:

1. Charge your reader for at least 20 minutes.

2. While the reader is charging, use a small object like a bobby pin, pen cap, or paper clip to firmly press and hold the button on the reader for 20 seconds.

- After 20 seconds, release the button and wait 10 seconds. Do not let go of the power button until after the red lights have stopped flashing.

- Press the button again to turn the reader on and observe any lights on the reader.

If the reader lights turn on, youโ€™re all set. If the lights donโ€™t turn on, please try again. Make sure to firmly press and hold the readerโ€™s button for a full 20 seconds. Do not let go of the power button until after the red lights have stopped flashing.

If the issue continues to happen please reach out to support, 1-855-700-6000 squ.re/contactsqsupport. We are not seeing on our end any salesforce cases of you calling in previously on this issue. It is best our Direct Support Team look at this further, and escalate if needed. 

Thanks for working with us to get this resolved. 

Message 8 of 10

I have done this at least three times. It doesn't work! The reader works properly on my old phone. It is not the reader, it is your software that doesn't want to work on Samsung Android 5G phones. Fix the real problem and stop wasting peoples time.

Message 9 of 10

I have called several times and all I ever got was a recording telling me to go to an online chat. I used my landline to call your support team and I can not do "chat" on my landline. I tried to logon to my computer and "chat" with you but it didn't work. I don't want to waste all my data from my phone trying to contact your support line. Enough with blaming the victim. I can't get my reader to work on my A52 phone. It works just find on my old 3G samsung phone. The problem is at your end. FIX IT. I have read the community chat posts and is seems that several people with the new samsung 5G phones (various models) ALL have the same problem. I am sick and tired of trying the same things over and over and over again with the same result. Your problem is larger than you care to admit. I have powered my phone off completely and rebooted it, several times. I have charged everything repeatedly. I have unpaired/paired my reader multiple times. I have rebooted my reader multiple times. It still won't work and I still get the same message. "device not supported". 

Message 10 of 10