x

Using your phone as a hotspot

I have been using the square terminal for over 18 months with no problems using a dedicated phone with data only as a hotspot connection. However over the last few weeks my data is being eaten up drastically. Yesterday Friday ran out of data, put another 1G on, used it the rest of the day then on Saturday my phone said I had used up 95% of my data. Customer support has not been able to help!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Borolad,

Thank you for writing in to our seller community! I noticed it's your first post, welcome ๐Ÿ‘‹ ๐Ÿ™‚

It might be worth connecting your Square Terminal to your wifi at home from time to time, so you can download software updates when you're not connected to your hotspot. Unfortunately, we're not able to look into your Square Terminal further via this public forum, but checking what other apps are running on your phone in the background - please let us know how you go! 

Message 2 of 4

thanks I still need tech support as I always sign into my home network for regular updates and all the background in the phone is switched off! Going into offline mode is not a solution as suggested by customer support! How do I contact tech support?

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Borolad - Alanah here, stepping in for Arie to help answer your question.

Speaking from experience on Phone Support for the Square Terminal, your Terminal will need to either be connected to a Wi-Fi network or hotspot in order to actively upload your payment information. You do have the option to accept payments while in Offline Mode and then take your Terminal home later to connect to your Wi-Fi network and upload your payments from throughout the day. 

Please note that Square is not able to edit the amount of data your phone is using while in HotSpot mode. But you may want to double-check that your Terminal's software version is up to date

I hope this information is helpful but please do let us know if you have any additional questions. Always happy to help! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4