x

Why is my chip reader not recognizing Bluetooth?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: chip reader not recognizing bluetooth]

My iphone bluetooth is on and connected to my chip reader.  My apps are up to date. When I go to process a payment, the chip reader says it is not connected by bluetooth.  Ideas?

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Fittyoga!

Sorry about that. 

I usually have the best luck when sellers do a hard reset on their Contactless and Chip Readers.

To do so:

1. Plug in the reader for at least 20 minutes to be sure it’s charged.
  2. Use a small object like a bobby pin, pen cap, or paper clip to firmly press and hold the button on the reader for 20 seconds or after the 4 lights stop blinking red.
  3. After 20 seconds, release the button and wait 10 seconds. The reader should be reset. 

From there, please try re-pair the reader using these steps:

1. Go to the Square app and tap the three horizontal lines.
  2. Tap Settings & Card Readers.
  3. Tap Connect a Reader. If you are using an iOS device you will need to select Contactless + Chip Reader.

Remember that to put the reader into pairing mode, press the reader’s power button for 3-10 seconds until you see 4 orange blinking lights. Release your fingers when you see these lights, because if you see red lights, you’ve held the button too long. 

This should resolve the issue, given that you've already ensured all the apps are up to date and that Bluetooth is on. Please reply in this thread if it doesn't! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Fittyoga!

Sorry about that. 

I usually have the best luck when sellers do a hard reset on their Contactless and Chip Readers.

To do so:

1. Plug in the reader for at least 20 minutes to be sure it’s charged.
  2. Use a small object like a bobby pin, pen cap, or paper clip to firmly press and hold the button on the reader for 20 seconds or after the 4 lights stop blinking red.
  3. After 20 seconds, release the button and wait 10 seconds. The reader should be reset. 

From there, please try re-pair the reader using these steps:

1. Go to the Square app and tap the three horizontal lines.
  2. Tap Settings & Card Readers.
  3. Tap Connect a Reader. If you are using an iOS device you will need to select Contactless + Chip Reader.

Remember that to put the reader into pairing mode, press the reader’s power button for 3-10 seconds until you see 4 orange blinking lights. Release your fingers when you see these lights, because if you see red lights, you’ve held the button too long. 

This should resolve the issue, given that you've already ensured all the apps are up to date and that Bluetooth is on. Please reply in this thread if it doesn't! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 8

After 10 times still not working, my iPhone says it’s connected but the app says it is not 

Message 3 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Theboozeartist!

What kind of phone/device are you using to pair the reader with?

I'm wondering if it's compatible. You can check to see if it is here.

Also by 10 times- do you mean of trying the troubleshooting listed above?

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 8

mine doesnot update past 88%

please help

Message 5 of 8
Alumni

@Simi - what troubleshooting steps have you done so far? Have you tried forgetting the reader in the POS app settings then reconnecting? 

Justin
Message 6 of 8

yes thank you. I did try that but it did not work. is there a service #? very frustrating 

Message 7 of 8
Alumni

Totally understand your frustration - You can contact our Support Team by clicking here . 

If you select More  > I Don't See My Issue, it will give you an option to call our Customer Success team along with your customer code.

I hope they're able to straighten this out for you @Simi

Justin
Message 8 of 8