x

can't install the app on my tablet

I am trying to install the app on my Asus tablet. When I sign into my Google Account and select the Square Point of Sale app, I get the message "This app is eligible with your device" but when I click INSTALL I get the message "No eligible devices for app install". This happens when I try on different tablets. Any suggestions? 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Square Community Moderator

Hi @SBBF

That does sound strange. Have you made sure your Android tablet is fully updated to the latest operating system version?

Also, what device were you using exactly? Have you checked to make sure your device is compatible? You can do so from our Compatibility Page.

Message 2 of 16

Hi @EJ_,

Thanks for your suggestions, I'm guessing it's a non-compatability issue. So disappointing b/c it doesn't work on my husband's tablet either (I have an Asus, his is a Lenovo).

I was thinking I could use my tablet as a Virtual Terminal but it doesn't recognize the Square reader when it's plugged into the jack. Ditto for our other tablet and also my computer. This seems really strange to me - the fact that the Square reader isn't recognizable in anything we plug it into. If I could use Virtual Terminal and pay the lower fees with the swipe, that would off-set the annoyance of not being able to install the app. Any ideas why the Square reader isn't being recognized as a device when it's plugged into a jack? 

Message 3 of 16

Hey @SBBF

I'm going to step in for EJ while he's out. If your device isn't listed on the compatibility page, we can't guarantee our hardware will be compatible as well. 

If you take a look at some of the compatible devices on the list you'll see we display which hardware is compatible as well. 

If you still have questions please feel free to reach out. I'd be happy to help. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 4 of 16

Hi @Chad

Is there any explanation why the Square reader isn't recognized by the jack in my tablet? I was thinking that just b/c my tablet can't install the app, it shouldn't mean that it also can't recognize the Square reader when inserted into the jack. 

Message 5 of 16

@SBBF Square reader compatibility depends on the device. For example the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro is compatible with our reader for magstripe, but is not compatible with our chip card reader. Even though they have the same connection type. 

Currently you can only use Virtual Terminal and a magstripe reader on a Chromebook or Apple computer. Your tablet probably runs on an Android operating system, so you wouldn't be able to accept payments using this method. 

Message 6 of 16

Oh dear, this is just getting better and better....

Message 7 of 16
Beta Member

Hi Chad,

I'm trying to DL the invoices app on my galaxy tab s2.  i'm on Nugat 7.0 and currently using the POS beta for writing invoices.  

Any word if the Invoice App will rollout to my device?

Message 8 of 16
Admin

@Danearthur

No specific word on when this might be supported. Due to the 100's of Android devices on the market we're sometimes not able to meet the requirements for compatibility, and in some cases even if you are able to use the App, it still may not be completely supported.

At this time we can't specifically say this product is on the Supported list.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 9 of 16
Beta Member

ok, got it.  Thx @kellyj 

Message 10 of 16
Admin

@Danearthur

Not a problem! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 11 of 16

I know that Square has a list of cell phones that the contactless reader is compatible with but I know that people have gotten many other devices working beyond that list. For example I was able to get my Samsung Tab A device to piggyback with my Acatel One Touch for data to work with the contactless reader. 

Is there another community list of devices that is larger than the official Square device list?

For example, none of the Samsung A devices show on the list, but some are new enough that they should work?

Message 12 of 16
Alumni

Hey @dpullen17

Unfortunately, there isn't another list of compatible devices available aside from the one listed in our Support Center. We try to update that list frequently, but it's a bit difficult with several thousand mobile devices on the market. 

Any device that isn't included in that list means we haven't tested it with our software but there's a chance it might work with Square. Feel free to test it, we just cannot guarantee compatibility. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 13 of 16

I know that Square can only suggested fully tested solutions but as with most tech out there, people have made do with what they have and found a way to make it work so I am hoping that the community might be able to help expand the list or make a new list that is "I got it working".

Officially my Acatel is not approved but it works with the original swipe device.

Message 14 of 16

I would like to know if the Onn Tablet 10.1" (or any of the other Onn tablets) will work with Square. Specifically, the contactless + chip reader and the magstripe reader. The tablet runs Android 9 Pie. I ask about this tablet in particular because it is quite inexpensive compared to some others so adding it to your compatible devices list would be good to make a basic Square setup cheaper.

Message 15 of 16
Admin

Hi @antillagorilla- That tablet is not on our compatibility list. Thanks for checking in on it, though.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 16 of 16