x

Is it possible to set up recurring / subscription / membership payments through my Square website?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: With Square E-commerce for nonprofits, can you set up a page with recurring donations?

With Square E-commerce for nonprofits, can you set up a page with recurring donations?

Message 1 of 239
3 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: With Square E-commerce for nonprofits, can you set up a page with recurring donations?

We introduced the ability to offer a recurring donation option last summer 

I can give you a quick rundown here - let's go! 

You'll start by heading to your Square Dashboard > Online Checkout

Click the Create checkout link in the top right-hand corner:

Select Accept a donation from the options in the pop-up:

On the next page, you'll want to give your donation item a name, and possibly a description.
Most importantly, be sure to click Advanced settings to toggle ON the Accept recurring donations setting.

This is also where you can select the frequency of the recurring donation and set a donation goal (optional).

At the bottom of this window, you can also add custom fields!

Be sure to hit Create link - now you've got your checkout link! If you want to customize the text shown on your button, locate your created checkout link from the Checkout Link page, and click it. Next, select Customize:

If you want to add this button to your website, copy the Website button code and head over to your website editor and insert it wherever you want customers to see your donation button 

Here's an example of my checkout link offering recurring donations:

If any questions come up as you create your checkout link, feel free to let us know here so we can dig with you, @RogerS!

Verified Answer

Re: Does Square offer subscriptions for online store purchases?

Hey there  @Gabberdunes -

At this time, the only way to do this is by creating a Recurring Invoice Series. However, customers wont be able to opt in when placing online orders since online won't recognize them as an invoices.

I'll pass tag your idea as a feature request so the Product Team gets word of what you're looking for. Keep an eye out for updates! 

Verified Answer

Re: Membership Management

The answer is YES

If I set up the Club Membership as an item, will it be able to get a report of the item sold together with the name of customers who bought it?  Yes, you can assign a customer to any sale.  If you are selling a recurring membership you can do this through recurring invoices.  If the customer saves there payment information then it will auto charge the account each month.

Can I get a report of all payments going through the linked bank account for reconciliation purposes? There are many reports you can use to show payment and daily deposits.

Also, can multiple users share access to the software? Yes, You can use employee management to give controlled access to the app.

2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @TABMin🌟

Just wanted to update this thread with our most current options.

As @RHatch said, you can create a recurring invoice to function as a subscription. This will autocharge your customer on a schedule of your choosing.

OR 

We also have subscription payments with Square Checkout links. With Square Online Checkout you can set up one checkout link with the subscription feature enabled. Instead of using Square Invoices for recurring payments, the subscription checkout link can be used to accept weekly, monthly, quarterly, or annual payments from multiple customers with a single checkout link. You can also self-select which specific checkout links your customers will be able to pay through. For example, use donation links for accepting monthly payments from donors/supporters.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 203 of 239
Alumni

Best Answer

We introduced the ability to offer a recurring donation option last summer 

I can give you a quick rundown here - let's go! 

You'll start by heading to your Square Dashboard > Online Checkout

Click the Create checkout link in the top right-hand corner:

Select Accept a donation from the options in the pop-up:

On the next page, you'll want to give your donation item a name, and possibly a description.
Most importantly, be sure to click Advanced settings to toggle ON the Accept recurring donations setting.

This is also where you can select the frequency of the recurring donation and set a donation goal (optional).

At the bottom of this window, you can also add custom fields!

Be sure to hit Create link - now you've got your checkout link! If you want to customize the text shown on your button, locate your created checkout link from the Checkout Link page, and click it. Next, select Customize:

If you want to add this button to your website, copy the Website button code and head over to your website editor and insert it wherever you want customers to see your donation button 

Here's an example of my checkout link offering recurring donations:

If any questions come up as you create your checkout link, feel free to let us know here so we can dig with you, @RogerS!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 229 of 239
238 REPLIES 238
Agency Partner

I also have this question, is there a way to create a checkout link that does it for a set period of monthly payments? such as 3 /6 / 12 monthly payment options? Thank you!

Message 64 of 239
Square Community Moderator

Hi @superwoman27,

Happy to help! We do have subscription plan you can create and can customize the frequency. 

You can checkout more information here, https://squ.re/3ycx1PD .

I hope this was helpful! Let me know if I can further assist. 

Message 65 of 239
Beta Member

I would like to start selling a monthly Membership plan. I am only seeing recurring invoices as a work around, am I missing a better option?

Message 66 of 239
Square Community Moderator

Hi @AngelHands

Recurring Invoices is the best option for membership sales so you're definitely on the right track with that. 

You can choose when you bill your clients and even save their card on file with it as well to automatically charge every month. 

Ashley C
Message 67 of 239

While invoicing helps a bit, it is substantially more work because we cannot create a membership item for a customer to purchase themselves. In my case I can create a class that a customer purchases online. Very easy for them and me.  However, if I want to sell a membership via the recurring invoice, I need to add the customer information and then create/assign an invoice to them. It is a laborious workaround. Also, since they have the option of selecting autopay rather than having that as the default, I can't be assured that giving a membership discount is worth it. Because they can essentially cancel at any time even though they might receive a discount for a longer membership.

Right now I'm considering moving away from square to process memberships and maybe entirely. I have liked square though. Please do add true membership functionality. 

Message 68 of 239

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Automatic Payment for Memberships]

We offer a monthly membership option for our spa. I would love to have the option for Auto draft from the client on the 1st of each month for the membership. Is this an option I haven't found yet? 

Message 69 of 239
Admin

Hey @ReginaClose!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community!

We don't currently have an auto-draft from bank accounts functionality, but you can create a Recurring Invoice to charge a card on file on a monthly schedule. 

Here is more information on how to set up a Recurring Invoice with a card on file. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 70 of 239
Beta Member

Does Square offer subscriptions for online store purchases? I see methods for reoccurring invoicing for services but nothing for actual online store product purchases that customers could opt in to for a monthly subscription for our products? IE Chewy.com

Message 71 of 239
Alumni

Hey there  @Gabberdunes -

At this time, the only way to do this is by creating a Recurring Invoice Series. However, customers wont be able to opt in when placing online orders since online won't recognize them as an invoices.

I'll pass tag your idea as a feature request so the Product Team gets word of what you're looking for. Keep an eye out for updates! 

Justin
Message 72 of 239
Beta Member

Thanks Justin. With the ever increasing model of online subscription ordering by the consumers, I think this would be a feature many of your Square customers could leverage to increase their service and product sales. Thanks for the reply and consideration for future Square features.

Message 73 of 239

Did you end up making the switch to Shopify? I'm running into this exact same problem. A year later and they still haven't figured it out.

Message 74 of 239

I haven't switched, but it is extremely irritating. Just today I got an email about some sort of subscription update, but I haven't had time to research what it is actually about. It may be about online payment options, which doesn't help, but IDK.

Message 75 of 239

I was looking at Shopify and they  offer a subscription link on their online store. In fact you can purchase any product and choose a one time payment or a subscription. I don’t understand why square can’t offer this. Please please look into this ASAP. I don’t want to change platforms, but as my business grows, I need the right tools to help me expand. Subscription service will be a BIG part of my business. I have customers that buy the same box of cigars each month. I would love for them to just click on the item and have the option to subscribe for monthly delivery or shipping from the website and take recurring payment without having them go every month to the online store and buy it. I think this is HUGE opportunity for all of us using square 

Message 76 of 239

Please make a subscription option for reoccurring payments WITHOUT needing to use square invoicing

Message 77 of 239
Beta Member

Hi, we offer subscription coffee via our website on Squarespace. I'm wondering if there is a way to create a subscription product (that charges monthly) on the Weebly online store? We're looking at doing subscription coffee beans. 

Thanks!

Message 78 of 239
Admin

Hey @vickyaustin-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

Good question! These are the item types offered with our Square Online Store:

I want to make it clear that while you can sell a membership, it would be a one-time purchase, and not charge recurringly. 

Let me know if you have any questions about this. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 79 of 239
Beta Member

@isabelle 

I tried that but no additional options popped up on the page (ie charge frequency, etc) so it doesn't seem like a workaround? 

Does anyone know how we can do subscription products on the Weebly store? Kinda seems like a standard ask with all the other item types available. 

Message 80 of 239
Admin

Hey @vickyaustin-

Yes, you're correct, it would be a one time membership purchase, and you'd be responsible for charging them on a recurring basis. You could use Square Recurring Invoices for this. Otherwise, here are some subscription management apps that we integrate with. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 81 of 239

@isabelle  I see that we can create an item for memberships. What I would like to do, is sell a membership and when someone becomes a member, they automatically get membership pricing on the other stuff we sell. How would I do that?

To give it some context, we are a skateboard league and what we sell is entries to an online or "virtual" skate contest. So these entries have a standard price. However I would also like to offer a membership option where as a member you get discounted entry into all of our virtual contests.

Does that make sense?

Message 82 of 239
Admin

I think I understand the concept @CASLSkateLeague 💡

I think that the membership item creation with Square Online would work to accept the payment for the exclusive discounts. 

However, as for delivering the coupons/discounts, that would be a manual process. You could create individual coupons/discounts and then email them to your customers? Square Marketing would allow you to do this in a campaign. 

It's not perfect, but I think it's a decent workaround for what you're looking for! 💯

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 83 of 239
Beta Member

Hi @CASLSkateLeague

Pintuna is a Square partner. Our Membership App is fully integrated with Square and can handle
your membership program needs. If you are still looking just drop us a note at sales@pintuna.com and we can setup a demo.

Message 84 of 239