x

connecting cash drawer to square register

Hi guys im new to square i was wondering if i could purchase the square register & the $499 USB register and connect them without a printer? I was hoping to have an automatic register without a printer is this possible?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller

Hello @hk8 thanks for your question. Can you tell us more about the items you are interested in connecting? Are you looking to connect two separate Square registers together? I'm not familiar with the USB register you are referencing. Just as an FYI, you can use the Square register without connecting a physical receipt printer to it, so you can still take credit card transactions. Customers will have the option to have a receipt emailed or texted to themselves.

Message 2 of 5

Hi @HC_Charlie thanks for the reply. Iโ€™m looking at purchasing the โ€œsquare register with iPadโ€ and the โ€œUSB cash drawerโ€. I was wondering if the cash drawer would automatically work without a printer attached as I donโ€™t need to print receipts. 

Message 3 of 5
Super Seller

ok, I see now. Sure the cash drawer will automatically open without being connected to a printer, as long as you use the USB cable and connect the cash drawer to the "hub" , and the Square Stand is connected to the same hub.

For more info about hardware connections, see this link. But note that some diagrams include connecting to a receipt printer. You would just connect everything to the USB hub.

In the event that someone reading this is using another kind of cash drawer:

Be careful of the the way this connects, because if you use a cash drawer with another kind of connector (looks like a phone connector or ethernet jack) and connect the drawer to the receipt printer (and not the Square USB Hub), it will not automatically open the drawer unless the printer is turned on.

Message 4 of 5

Perfect thanks for the help much appreciated! 

Message 5 of 5