x

change abn

Hello, I have changed my ABN and wondering if I can change it on Square without recreating an account?

Message 1 of 46
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @tryingforourh,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately we are not able to support a change of ABN on Square accounts at the moment. This is due to the fact that a change of ABN in Australia usually reflects a change of the underlying business ownership structure, and we don't support changing account ownership.

You'd need to actually create a new Square account and enter your new ABN upon sign-up - which is doable via https://squareup.com/au, you'd just need to use a different email address to the one used for your initial account. If you'd like to continue using the same email address, this is something you'd be able to change in the future once you set up the new account.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
Admin

Hey @VSCo,

Thanks for reaching out!

Your Square account is tied to an ABN that was provided during the account setup process and updating this information involves a business structure change that we unfortunately currently cannot support.

In order to use the new ABN, you'd need to create a new Square account.

Sorry for the inconvenience here - we're aware this is a requested feature from our merchants and we're tracking demand at the moment. I'm passing on your feedback as part of this tracking.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 22 of 46

Hi, I am another customer that needs to update my ABN due to a restructure. The amount of work involved to rebuild my website and set up a new account will be significant. How can this have not been resolved when the issue was reported so long ago? How are you tracking demand from your customers? Are you not also at risk of losing customers here by forcing people to essentially start over, if I have to redo my account then this is an opportunity to look for another provider which potentially I woudln't have considered if I could just update my ABN?

Message 23 of 46
Admin

Hey @Ned_baker,

Thanks for sharing your feedback, I certainly understand your frustration here. 

While I don't currently have a timeline to share, nor am I able to comment on internal development priorities, adding the ability to change an ABN on an account is still on our radar. It's a popular feature request in Australia and with good reason - having to recreate your website from scratch and set up a new account because you've changed your ABN isn't a great experience. 

You can read a bit more about the feature request life cycle here - while I don't have any news to share at the moment, if this changes in the future we'll be sure to update this thread.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 24 of 46

Hi we have gone from a soul trader to a partnership and have a new ABN we need to change this on our square POS how do we do it? 

Message 25 of 46
Square

Hi @Wovensailor2821

Unfortunately, your Square account is tied to an ABN/ACN that was provided during the account setup process and updating this information involves business structure change that we currently cannot support. In order to use the new ABN/ACN, a new Square account should be created by the business owner, or the person who would administer the account. For a refresher on setting up a new account, visit our Support Centre.

Please let me know if you have any further questions! 

Message 26 of 46

on setup i used the wrong ABN can i keep square account and deactivate the pending verification

Message 27 of 46
Admin

Hey @suezammit,

If you've used the wrong ABN you'll need to start a new Square account, as ABNs are permanently tied to accounts and are unfortunately not editable.

If you'd like to use the same email address to create a new account, our team can help here - give them a call on 1800 760 137. Lines are open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Melbourne time 👍

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 28 of 46

I need to change my ABN

Message 29 of 46
Admin

Hey @Lachlan, thanks for reaching out.

At the moment Square accounts don't support a change of ABN, however you can create a new Square account and enter your new ABN upon sign up. You'll need to use a different email to do this, or you can change the email on your existing Square account to use your preferred email to sign up for a new Square account.

Change of ownership of a Square account is something we're tracking as a feature request, I'll update this thread if I hear of any changes to how this works!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 30 of 46

@Seamus Any update on this? we are going through a restructure that means a new ABN, I really don't want to recreate the website and 1000+ items and photos...... If I have to to that I may as well also start looking at other options for my online store

Message 31 of 46
Square Community Moderator

Hi @MLTZER,

Thanks for writing in!

At this time, changing the ABN on a Square Account is still a feature request.

You can export your items your new account by following this guide. Unfortunately, websites and images can't be imported to another Square account. 

We'll share updates here if there's news on changing ABNs on Square Accounts. 

I'm sorry we couldn't be of more help here! 

Message 32 of 46

How long does something sit in the "feature request" basket before it's actioned? I'm in the same boat as everybody else in this thread wanting to change my ABN and I see the thread dates back to 2018! Three years should be more than enough time.....

Message 33 of 46

Not only that, but it’s something that should be so simple 

Message 34 of 46

We just changed from a partnership to company... Nothing has changed except our bank account and our ABN... There's no way I'm going through the full set up again.... Too many customers, transactions, modifiers, items, photos....  And I think it's illegal to be trading on our old ABN.... Square desperately need to find a solution to this!  I dont care how much KYC and how many documents I need to provide.... Pleeeeeeeeeease make it happen.

Message 35 of 46

Hi @Sorlock,

While we don't have an update on this request at the moment, I'd recommend reaching out to our support team for help setting up your new account if you're having trouble getting started with your new account. You can download your transaction history for record keeping purposes, and you can also transfer your items between accounts. Give us a call on 1800 760 137 for help. Our lines are open Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm AEDT. 

Message 36 of 46

Hi,

I need to update my ABN too.

This issue has been dragging out since 2018 but still not able to update ABN is no good enough. :S

Could you please support this feature sooner than later? PLEASE!!!

Message 37 of 46

Thanks for adding your voice to the conversation here, @beanie2019!

We'll continue to pass on the feedback we receive in this thread to our Product Team. Once we have more news to share, we'll be sure to reach out with an update.

In the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us with any questions you may have.

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Message 38 of 46

Laurie im in the same position as everyone else on this thread for the past 5 years,

Ive sold the business and need to change the ABN on the account.

have you guys fixed this yet or even attempted to fix it. it seems like a serious problem and poor functionality on your part

update please and advise going forward.

I don't want to cop the tax bill for the new owner. 

Message 39 of 46

Hello! Is this going to happen any time soon? It's going to be a huge job to transfer from one Square account to another. We have ongoing contracts that are still to be fulfilled. It's going to be incredibly painful to make the change. I would also be disappointed if we made all the efforts to change then suddenly the feature becomes available. 

Message 40 of 46

rHi @nannamarce,

Thanks for writing in! I understand your concerns about making this change while this feature is being developed, and making the migration to a new account. At this time, it doesn't look like the feature is right around the corner, so if you're already trading under a new ABN, creating a new account would be a good idea. I'm sorry I don't have more exciting news to share here yet! 

Message 41 of 46

hello,

I have moved structure from a sole trader to a pty ltd company.

Do you know if the simple change of editing and changing an ABN number has been implemented yet?

If I'm honest I'm horrified to have to start from scratch, to create a new account and lose everything and have to recreate all my POS items my data, my rate agreement. All from the beginning and do a complex change over/switch all for editing some numbers on the back end.

I have the same email, bank account, person ownership, physical street address, same business name its just a ABN number change.

Is there any good news, this question was raised over 4 years ago.

many thanks

Message 42 of 46