x

Which credit cards are accepted by Square?

Are all credit cards accepted by Square?

Message 1 of 41
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Square can definitely process US-issued (and also most internationally-issued) magstripe and chip cards bearing a Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB, or UnionPay logo.

The following card types are accepted through Square:

• Credit
  • Corporate
  • Debit (processed as a credit transaction)
  • Prepaid
  • Rewards

I hope this helps to clear things up. Let me know if you have any other questions about accepted cards. 💳 😎

View Best Answer >

Message 15 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
Alumni

@Jeanfrancofv - Visa cards are among Square's list of accepted card brands, so you absolutely  can accept Walmart Visa gift cards. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 22 of 41

Can I accept Scota bank credit cards with sqaure?

Message 23 of 41
Square Community Moderator

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “Can I accept Scota bank credit cards?”. The original author has been notified via email.

Hi @TRAUB

I've moved your post over to this existing thread. 

While I'm not familiar with Scota Bank, so long as it has one of the listed credit card logos, you should be able to accept it with no trouble. 

Check out this article for more information: 

Accepted Cards

Message 24 of 41

I recieve United Airlines Vouchers for ground transportation, can input all the required numbers and the Recomended (by united) Zipcode, (60606) and it still gets declined.  Why? has anyone else run into this problem ans how can we fix it.

Message 25 of 41

Hey @m29mike

I've moved your post over to this existing thread that touches on which cards can be accepted with Square. 

While I'm not familiar with United Airlines Vouchers, if they don't meet the criteria mentioned in the Best Answer, unfortunately you won't be able to accept that as a form of payment through your Square account. 

Message 26 of 41

Until last week i was able to process united airlines ground transportation credit card vouchers. But now it declines my charges. I know that the zip code and every thing is correctly entered. Any help would be appreciate.

Message 27 of 41

HI @Yoadber

I moved your post over to this existing thread, as a fellow seller had the same questions recently. 

So long as the card being accepted fits our Accepted Card criteria, you should be able to manually enter the information. 

I'm not familiar with United Airlines Credit Card Vouchers, but check out the Accept Cards criteria in the Best Answer and make sure this is something that can be accepted with Square. 

Message 28 of 41
Beta Member

Did you find a way to accept the payments from United Airlines? I do transportation for them too. And can never get it to work on Square. Talked to support and got nowhere. But works on PayPal business but over a certain amt they put a 30 day hold on getting your money...

Message 29 of 41
Admin

@Lyndelf

When you get a chance give our Support team a call. Typically with these issues we need to check into how your business is registered and confirm you are registered with the correct Merchant Code.

Please use: squ.re/contact and go through the steps of trying to find your issue. If you click > I Don't See My Issue, it will give you an option to call our Customer Success team.  

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 30 of 41
Beta Member

Did you ever find a fix to the problem???

Message 31 of 41

Hey @Lyndelf, thanks for reaching out to us!

The answer my colleague provided to m29mike remains the same here, the payment type will need to meet our Accepted Cards requirements in order to be processed successfully with Square.

I hope this helps to answer your query!

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Message 32 of 41

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Is there card that are not accepted by Square? 

I have a customer that says that her credit card can’t be ran on square, PayPal, venom... just wondering if this is a real thing or a hoax. 

Message 33 of 41
Super Seller

these cards are accepted, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB, or UnionPay logo cards.  there are HSA health insurance cards that only work if your Square account has the correct billing code in Square.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5085-accepted-cards

Message 34 of 41

does square accept american express cards

Message 35 of 41

Hey @winslowportrait and welcome to the Seller Community! 

We moved your post here to answer your question about AMEX cards. We do accept AMEX cards as well as the other logos listed on the first page. 🙂

Ashley C
Message 36 of 41

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Which credit cards are accepted by Square?

Can my client use an America express card? 

Message 37 of 41
Super Seller Alumni

Here's a link to Square's site where they list the cards that they accept.  Good news: yes they do accept AmEx, we regularly process sales using their cards.

Judy T Shumway
Message 38 of 41

I have a company that wants switching from Master card to American Express card. Am I able to charge Amex with my Square terminal? Please anyone out there. Thanks

Message 39 of 41

Hey there @Eyecare64

Welcome to the Seller Community! 

I moved your post over to a board with a similar topic. Check out the post by @Russell for the Best Answer on this board. Also, here's a link where you can see the cards accepted with Square. 

Kassi
Message 40 of 41

Can i take a visa debit gift card for payment?

Message 41 of 41