x

Can I charge customers a total price with out showing the tax separately?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: tax

I operate a small business and have a web site already established with a store front.  I am participating in a consumer show this weekend and will be using Square for the first time. Traditional we have not accepted CC's at consumer shows, we only have accepted CC payment through our web site.

My question is: Is there any reason why I cannot just charge my customers a total price  (with the tax in) and charge to their CC (provided they approve) with out showing the tax separately?  Being a small biz, JIT inventory control is not a requirement based upon our product line.

My reason is that I have hundreds at SKU's, and I do not have the time to enter my inventory again into Square. And have two systems to maintain.  I understand that I will have additional extra paper work to brake out the tax for submitting. Eventually I will use the system the way it was intended, just don't have the time at present.

Thank you

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Admin

Hi @RH2018!

As you don't have time to set up an item library yes you can adjust your tax settings such that taxes can be applied to custom amounts entered to the app, and so that the tax is included in the item price. That way you can enter the total amount of the charge to accept card payments quickly and your customers' receipts will show a breakdown of the tax. 

You can create taxes from your online Square Dashboard. To apply taxes to custom amounts you'll need to go to the Point of Sale app:

1. Navigate to Settings > tap Taxes.
  2. Tap on the name of a tax to edit (or to create a new tax tap the + in the top right).
  3. Tap Applicable Items > toggle Custom Amounts ON.
  4. Tap Item Pricing > select Include Tax in Item Price.

Keep in mind when you use the setting 'Include Tax in Item Price' no additional funds will be collected to pay the tax. With this setting it is assumed you've built the tax into the item price. (You can select 'Add Tax to Item Price' if you prefer, that way when you enter the custom amount the tax will be calcluated and added to the total amount.) 

I hope this helps at your event this weekend. Best of luck and hope to see you in the Community again soon! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 2