x

Can I process card payments while traveling internationally?

How do u use a third party credit card along with square global to accept payments I am currently out of the country 

Message 1 of 14
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Welcome to the Community, @Rachel35a!

Thanks for bringing this up. Unfortunately, you are only able to accept card payments in the country that your account was opened in. For example, if you activated your account in the US, you can only accept payments within the US. However, you can accept cash transactions while traveling internationally and use Square to track them.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Alumni

Best Answer

Welcome to the Community, @Rachel35a!

Thanks for bringing this up. Unfortunately, you are only able to accept card payments in the country that your account was opened in. For example, if you activated your account in the US, you can only accept payments within the US. However, you can accept cash transactions while traveling internationally and use Square to track them.

Puka - She/They
Message 2 of 14

Thanks.

What do you mean with cash transactions?

Message 3 of 14
Alumni

As in, you can still accept cash payments as normal, just not card payments.

Puka - She/They
Message 4 of 14

Got it, thanks!

Message 5 of 14

I will be traveling to Colombia and Mexico for an expo and will meet with clients so am wondering if I can use Square to accept their payments. They will be paying CAD.

Message 6 of 14
Alumni

Hi @Lizzeth - I've merged your post to a thread on the same topic. My response above should help answer your question. 🤙🏼

Puka - She/They
Message 7 of 14

What about using the virtual terminal? I'm from the US but we're going to be working in Paris for the weekend and we need to be able to accept credit cards, any advice? 

Message 8 of 14
Alumni

Hi @Setherial - it is only possible to accept credit card payments from the nation your account was activated. Regulations and our agreements with the credit card networks do not allow for international processing. 

If you need to accept payments in France, you will need to open a credit card processing account from a French credit card processing company. 🇫🇷

I hope this helps to clear things up. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Message 9 of 14

Question then - when I return to USA will the amount appear on my app. AS of now it says it can not load my account profile due to country but I know for ex someone sent me cash. 

Message 10 of 14

Does this only apply to swiping cards while traveling, or can I manually enter a client's Canadian credit card number and process their payment on the due date (I'm Canadian and will be traveling, and some client's payments come due in Canada while I'm away and I have their CC info). 

Message 11 of 14

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Inroads in accepting cards  internationally?

Is square still only available in USA? 

Message 12 of 14
Super Seller

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/4956-international-availability

Square is available in US, Canada, Japan, Australia, and the United Kingdom.  Each country has it's own accounts though so if you were to travel to a Square country your account from a different country would not work.

Message 13 of 14

I’ve purchased a square reader from the unites states. Can I activate it use it to take American payments? 

Message 14 of 14