x

Can I filter a report by uncategorized items?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Cannot access uncategorized items

Somehow, possibly by a mistake I have created some items that show up on a sales report as 'Uncategorized'.  I tried to find them and assign a proper category or delete and re-create with a proper category, but I cannot access them.  When I go to 'Items' in the dashboard I can only display items by categories or all categories, but the 'Uncategorized' do not show up.  I will be grateful for any suggestions. Thank you.

Message 1 of 22
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@Peter13 Hmm you're right there isn't a way to filter your Item Library by 'uncategorized'. 🤔

However, if you navigate to the Items section of your online Dashboard the Category column will be blank if there's no category assigned to it. If you have a small number of items you can can click on the name of an item without a category to assign one. 

But if you have a lot of items, you can Export your item library to a spreadsheet, assign categories to as many items in the 'Category' column of that spreadsheet, and then Import the file to your Dashboard. Importing the file will upload your changes to your library automatically. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Admin

Best Answer

@Peter13 Hmm you're right there isn't a way to filter your Item Library by 'uncategorized'. 🤔

However, if you navigate to the Items section of your online Dashboard the Category column will be blank if there's no category assigned to it. If you have a small number of items you can can click on the name of an item without a category to assign one. 

But if you have a lot of items, you can Export your item library to a spreadsheet, assign categories to as many items in the 'Category' column of that spreadsheet, and then Import the file to your Dashboard. Importing the file will upload your changes to your library automatically. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 22

Would it be possible to add this as a feature request? We have a couple hundred items in our inventory and occasionally new items get added and the employee forgets to add them to category, thus we have to go in manually and add them. It often screws up our reporting. If there was a way to simply filter uncategorized items (category = null) then it would make this process so much easier. Exporting and uploading is a pain, and so we only do it for major changes. As it is right now, we scroll through the entire list of items to find the blank categories and change them manually. It seems so unnecessary.

Message 3 of 22
Square Community Moderator

Hey @weloveart

We can definitely pass this forward as a feature request.

I appreciate your request being super detailed and that you let us know why it'd be best for your business because it's easier to make a case with our Product team when you do. 

I'll let them know and hopefully this can be a future improvement in our reporting tools.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 22

Yes, please--this would be great.  I have a whole bunch of uncategorized sales that I would like to go back and correct so that they show up in the appropriate categories.  Please help me do this!

Message 5 of 22

I want to see what items are not being categorized still. How do I view that?

Message 6 of 22
Alumni

@pnwgolf - there isn't a perfect way to view uncategorized items. I usually export a CSV and and sort column D (Category) in alphabetical order, that way all items with a blank cell in column D are grouped together. 

Justin
Message 7 of 22

Seen your question from May of 2018.... it is February 2021.  I was looking for the answer to the same question. I can not believe there is not a easier way than to export an entire library.  It pulls the data and labels it as uncategorized, you would think simply selecting that word "uncategorized" it would bring you to list of those items. 

Message 8 of 22

I agree 100%% . and support with square is absolutely useless !! 

Message 9 of 22

Hello @Vanessa2021,

Good to see you posting in the Seller Community for the first time even if its under this circumstance. 

Sorry to hear you have not had the ideal experience with our Customer Success team. 😔 Is there anything specific you were needing help with? I'd be happy to point you in the right direction. 

I look forward to reading your reply.

Frida
Message 10 of 22

actually yes, I pay a $70/month for a service that doesn't even work. I have called so many times, places on hold for countless mins/hours, and in the end it seems like noone ever has an answer or able to walk me through promised features with adding this plan.

All I simply wish is for someone to walk me through

a)how to assign a sale to a team member so I can tally up their commission for when I pay them

b)how can I see my team clock in hours, OR do I need to set their schedule for them to clock in/out properly.

If you could kindly walk me through these simple questions I'd be so grateful.

Message 11 of 22

Hello Vanessa2021, 

Thanks for providing that information. 😊

Let's start with the following:

A. You will be able to set up your commission rates directly from your online Square Dashboard.

To do so:

1. Visit the Team section of your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Select the employee you wish to set up the rate for.
  3. Under Job Title > click Edit.
  4. Toggle on Earns Commission.
  5. Enter the employee’s items and services commission rate.

Commission tracking is currently only available from your online Square Dashboard. When an employee is assigned to an appointment, that individual will be attributed to the sale, and they will receive any commission & tips. 

Something important to note, is that there isn't a way to edit the transaction to be under the correct employee. You can avoid this by enabling Passcodes after every sale in the POS Settings, which leads me to the next topic regarding clock in.

B. If your employees use the team app, you will need to set up the following:

1. Log in to Shifts in your online Square Dashboard, and select Settings > Clock in/out.
  2. Toggle Clock in/out from Team App and Block early and unscheduled clock-ins on or off.

I have also included this thread to elaborate more in regards to clockin/out: https://squ.re/2XXuM4J

I hope this provides a start, let me know if this helps. 😊

Frida
Message 12 of 22
Beta Member

"navigate to the Items section of your online Dashboard; the Category column will be blank if there's no category assigned to it."

When I navigate to the item section of my online Dashboard, I do not see a Category column.

Every time I use the Photo Studio to update a photo, it removes that item from its category, removes the SKU number, and takes it off inventory. I noticed this only when I was scanning an item at the checkout, and the item did not come up in the system.

I found that the Photo Studio was the common denominator. Now I am trying to search for all the items that were uncategorized.

I am not familiar with the export/import thing. 

I see this post is years old, have you found an easier way yet?

John 

Colors of Glass

Message 13 of 22

Has Square resolved the issue of finding uncategorized items without exporting ALL the items to a spreadsheet?  We should be able to categorize an item (or re-catgorize an item) - both items in inventory and items sold

Message 14 of 22

Hi there! I've merged your post to the existing thread discussing this as it's still a feature request for right now and we are still tracking it. It will be easier to keep all the requests in one place so our Developers can track it better. I know that CSV files can seem cumbersome at times, but this is still going to be the best option for you to bulk update these uncategorized items. 

Thanks for your time and of course, always let me know if you have any other questions! 🙂

AshleyK
Message 15 of 22

Hi,

I agree with the above users it would be very useful to simply click on the item that was sold that did not have a category assigned to it and quickly be able to add it to a category after the fact.  Also once you've added the category it would be great if it was applied to all those items that had been sold prior.  Ie - if I wanted to add the category 'baked goods' to a cookie sold that day once I add it it should be move to the 'baked goods' category in my sales report for that day.  Right now when you add a category once something is sold it is still marked as uncategorized.  It's very confusing for inventory.

Thanks

Message 16 of 22
Beta Member

Hello,

Now 2023, I still can't easily fix the "uncategorized" items.

How hard would that be to add "uncategorized" or "missing category" the same way you have with the "missing vendors" in the item library ??

Please.

Message 17 of 22

Hi @Bobs-Tropical - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

I want to make sure I am understanding correctly...are you wanting to figure out which items do not have a category assigned to them? If so, please see my post on this thread which has been marked as the Best Answer.

If I've missed the mark or if you have any additional questions, please do let me know.

Violet
Message 18 of 22
Beta Member

Thank you for answering that.

I totally get it that we have to export the whole library to Excel and fix it from there then transfer back, or see which item don't have the category then go back and fix it in the library.

But it would be extremely HELPFUL and FAST fix if your team can add "uncategorized" or "no category" at the filters menu bar.

/shrug/

Message 19 of 22

Thank you for confirming for me, @Bobs-Tropical. I just wanted to let you know it is possible (in a somewhat convoluted way) if you weren't aware already.

I’ve shared your feature request with our Product Team, as they are constantly improving our products based on feedback like this. They let me know, "We've confirmed that it's pretty simple for us to add this "filter by no category" option. We don't know exactly yet when we'll be able to schedule the implementation process, but the number of requests vs the effort required means it's on our radar as something to do before too long."

I hope this information is insightful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 20 of 22

I don't see a way to export a CSV of items in my Online Dashboard. I can do export my POS item library from that dashboard, but categories don't sync from the POS dashboard to the Online Dashboard (these terms are so vague and confusing - when I way my Online Dashboard I am referring to the item list for my website created through Square Online - the POS Dashboard contains the items that are in our POS and are also available on my online dashboard - not to be confused with the Square Online Dashboard that refers to the items showing on our website).

There is no way that I can see to audit my online items in order to make sure every item has a category. I don't see a way to export that list, and the item list itself doesn't have a column for Category. It seems as if there isn't a way to double check that all of our items have a category (for the website) and those that aren't assigned a category won't show up and therefor won't sell. 

Why isn't there a way to audit and edit Online Site Items?

Message 21 of 22