x

Does the new Square Terminal run on its own wifi or mobile data?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original.

Square Terminal running on wifi of our mobile data or itself has a internet?

Message 1 of 14
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Great question @bhavin1286!

The new Square Terminal does not have its own mobile data/data plan so you'd need to connect it to the internet to take payments with it.

You can connect the Terminal to the internet a few different ways:

• using a wifi connection
  • via Ethernet. You must buy the Hub for Square Terminal to connect to ethernet.
  • a mobile hotspot from a cellphone. If you use this option we also suggest you connect the Terminal to wifi at night or when you can to download updates.

An internet connection is required to process Interac and chip cards with the Square Terminal. If you don't have any access to internet when you're taking payments with the Terminal, you could use Offline Mode to swipe magstripe cards.

Reply here it you have any other questions about the Terminal!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Admin

Best Answer

Great question @bhavin1286!

The new Square Terminal does not have its own mobile data/data plan so you'd need to connect it to the internet to take payments with it.

You can connect the Terminal to the internet a few different ways:

• using a wifi connection
  • via Ethernet. You must buy the Hub for Square Terminal to connect to ethernet.
  • a mobile hotspot from a cellphone. If you use this option we also suggest you connect the Terminal to wifi at night or when you can to download updates.

An internet connection is required to process Interac and chip cards with the Square Terminal. If you don't have any access to internet when you're taking payments with the Terminal, you could use Offline Mode to swipe magstripe cards.

Reply here it you have any other questions about the Terminal!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 14
Beta Member

my old terminal used bluetooth and it has paid for itself time and time again

the new terminal uses WiFi so an access point of one kind or another is needed

the iPhone and iPad can make a mobile hotspot if a mobile access point is needed

the change makes the new terminal slightly more independent from the phone

Message 3 of 14
Beta Member

so you don't need your phone near by to use the terminal? we want to use the terminal at a farmers market. we do have access to WiFi. So is that secure enough to use the terminal? Then you download at the end of the day, our sales? We want to take payments at the market but we cant have our phone at the stand as we are having other employees selling.

Message 4 of 14
Square Community Moderator

@linny1968 welcome to the Seller Community!! If you have a solid WiFi connection, then you do not need to have a hotspot for your Square Terminal. You will also not need to use Offline Mode since your payments will be accepted and uploaded to your account immediately with wifi. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 14

I just wanted to make sure I understood the info above correctly. I have a mobile business where I work from a vehicle that has an auxiliary power source. It's my understanding the Hub unit is a stand alone internet connection when used in conjunction with the Terminal. No wi-fi, mobile hotspot, internet tether required? This would be really helpful and add a level of professionalism to my setup if this is the case! What is the connectivity coverage like? Thank you! 

Message 6 of 14
Alumni

@Scott_ABR - Welcome to the Community!

Hopefully I can provide some clarity.

The Hub is used to connect the Terminal to a network via Ethernet if you decide against WiFi or a mobile hotspot, but you'll need an Ethernet cable to tether it. 

More on setting up the Square Terminal here.

Justin
Message 7 of 14

My wifi signal is strong, other devices are doing great, but square terminal is not connecting to internet.  Is this an issue anyone else has had?   It was connected earlier in the day, and now not.

Message 8 of 14

Did you get an answer to this?  I am having the same problem.

Message 9 of 14

I just activated my terminal. I was told before i purchased it that i can use my cellphone data to access internet. How do i do this? I got a hub to connect, but not sure the procedure. I cannot afford to leave product behind and wait until i have wifi. Most all my sales are in places i cannot access wifi.

Message 10 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hello @R1chard

In order to use your cellphone Hotspot to provide internet to the Square Terminal, you would need to activate this function from your phone. After activating the hotspot function select your Hotspot as the wifi network you'd want your Square Terminal to connect to

JJ
Message 11 of 14

Thank you so much, that was very helpful

Message 12 of 14

Good advice. Thanks! 

Message 13 of 14

In any case, ensure that you don't fall into the snares of a con artist site that takes the cash from its clients and later leaves them. You can avoid these sorts of administrations by seeing the warnings. For example, if charging you a madly low cost on paper (more info here), it is smarter to overlook it as the odds are good that this site will trick you

Message 14 of 14