x

Domain Hosting Recommendations for .ca Weebly Site

I have a unique senerio and I'm looking for a little bit of advise. I previously hosted my site through shoppify and found that it was too expensive for the simple functions I was looking for. Through Shoppify I purchased the domain brownbearboutique.ca and is now set to expire in the next couple of days. 

I've began to set up my new site through Weebly and then found out that Weebly is unable to host a .ca website so now I'm stuck with figuring out how and were to transfer the domain to a new hosting service that is compatable with Weebly.

At this point I'm looking for recommendations on what to use as a hosting service, and if I'm better off to let the domain expire and then renew with a new services or trying to transfer it.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Hello @mb85,

I see this is your first post. Welcome to The Seller Community! 

For clarification, Square/Weebly cannot accept the incoming transfer of a .ca domain. We can only accept .com, .net, and .org. This means you cannot move your domain from the Shopify registrar to the Weebly registrar. (Basically, where you pay for your domain, and manage the domain DNS records.)

You can still connect the domain to your Weebly hosted website by updating the DNS to point to the Weebly servers. Learn more about connecting a third party domain here

I don't have any recommendations on which domain registrar you should transfer to, however, it shouldn't be an issue to connect the domain to your Weebly website no matter which registrar you do end up choosing. Can you keep the domain registered at Shopify? That might be your best option considering how close the domain is to expiring. 

**Edit to add** Whatever you do, I absolutely do not recommend letting the domain expire. It can be a pricey and lengthy wait if the domain expires on its own. If anything, you should renew the domain through Shopfiy, then you can transfer the domain out to a third party registrar if you do not wish to keep your Shopify account open. 

Message 2 of 2