x

Effectiveness of square terminal in multiple locations

I own a cottage business in the country, internet reception spotty. I know there is an offline option, but is there an ‘time limit’ for funds being held in offline?  If I take my square terminal back to my primary place of residence (few hours away from my cottages) can I still use it do get offline payments?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Cottagebusiness and welcome to the Community!

You can use Square Terminal in offline mode but it wouldn't be advised to do in Canada.

The Square Terminal requires an internet connection at all times to function properly with the chip reader. If your internet connection becomes interrupted or temporarily unavailable, you can enable Offline Mode to accept swiped card payments as a backup but in Canada there aren't a lot of cards that are able to be swiped.

To enable Offline Mode:

1. Tap the three horizontal lines.
  2. Tap Settings > Offline Mode.
  3. Toggle Allow Offline Mode to on.
  4. Review the information and then tap Allow Offline Mode.
  5. To set a limit for card transactions taken offline, enter an amount next to Per Transaction Limit. This limit automatically defaults to $100 when Offline Mode is enabled and the maximum per transaction limit is $50,000.

Any transactions accepted while in Offline Mode will be processed when you regain connectivity. If a payment is not processed within 72 hours, it will expire and the funds will not be captured from your customer.

When operating in Offline Mode, there is an additional risk with any payments you accept. Square is not responsible for any loss due to declined cards, expired payments taken while offline, or for chargebacks. In addition, Square can not contact any customers on your behalf should a payment be declined or expire when taken in Offline Mode.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 3
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @Cottagebusiness - 

There has been some changes to Offline Mode and the Terminal. If you're interested in finding out more, please check out this Product Launch.  

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 3