x

Hello just received my Square today, all seems to be working except it wouldn't accept at RBC debit

Hello, just received my square contactless and makes right. Everything seems to be working except it would not accept my RBC debit card contactless or swipe or insert. Also while I'm here this may be a stupid question but if a person was to insert their card do they not have to enter their pin. Again credit cards have seemed to work but not the debit card from RBC

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Hello @megaromawellnes

Currently we only offer debit processing via contactless payment. So you should be able to make a contacless payment if your debit card has Interac flash enabled. Since we don't offer magstripe or chip debit processing customers won't be prompted to enter their PIN. We are working to bring debit card processing to our Canadian Sellers, but I don't have a timeline on when this will be available. 

One thing to note! Some American Express credit cards have PIN numbers and in the event this happens the customer will enter their PIN on the screen of your device. 

If you still have questions please feel free to reach out to me!

Message 2 of 11

thank you for replying,,, yes,,, i've tried my own debit,, and a customers,,, we both have tap,,,, it would not accept... RBC bank card..

I tried a debit that has no tap ,,,make sense that would'nt  work...

Message 3 of 11

Same here. The tap works on the Square Reader for all credit and debit cards I've tried except for the RBC debit card that has Interac flash logo on it. The error message is "Unknown Card Brand. Please  use a different card".

Hope the debit card processing  will be implemented soon .

Message 4 of 11

Hello,,, did you ever get this resolved??? i\ve been in touch with support centre and they have not been able to fix anything,,, they seem to be cinvinced it's my card,,,, but i've tried another person's rbc,, WIth no luck...

Message 5 of 11
Admin

Sorry to hear that you're still encountering trouble with this, @megaromawellnes.๐Ÿ˜• I can't access and share out payment-specifics in our online forums for security purposesโ€”but I can see that you have a case open with our Customer Success team. They're actively looking into this and they'll get back to you with an update as soon as any developments come through.

๏œ๏ธ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 6 of 11

Interesting @megaromawellnes and @Diplus.

The reader should accept debit cards from RBC as long as they have Interac flash enabled. If you have continuing issues with these debit cards, I recommend reaching out to our Customer Success Team so they can take a closer look at your account. 

Message 7 of 11

online  with tech support now ,, still not accepting RBC debit taps,,, anyone else with this issue??

Message 8 of 11

Same thing even worse: i just received second contactless in replacement of "bad" one. They both reject Canadian tap debit cards. I tried TD and Scotia cards, and some cards from clients. 

Message 9 of 11

Morning,

It may be the card - if what I am reading some of the information correctly the Square Tap function only works if "Interac Flash" is enabled on the card.  Thus my TD card probably won't work, but my Credit Union card should as it says "Interac Flash" on the card itself.  Anyone from Square support reading this - did I get that right?

Message 10 of 11
Admin

๐Ÿ‘‹ @LoralieF Yes, you're right! Thanks for answering this! 

At this time, to accept a debit card in Canada the card must be Interac Flash enabled and you must accept that payment using the tap function of the reader. 

One other thing to be aware of if that there is a $100 per transaction limit for Interac debit tap payments โ€” that's a security measure created by card-issuers to protect their customer's cards in case they are lost or stolen.

If a payment appears to meet all of the criteria but you see an error in the app, you should ask your customer to contact their bank directly as there may be an issue with the card.

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 11 of 11