x

Indian status sales tax exemption

Our business revenue has grown such that we need to start charging 13% HST. A first Nations individual presenting a Status Card is entitled to be exempt from the 8% provincial sales tax. I can find no easy way to accomplish this at the end of the transaction. It appears that I have to either create multiple tax selections for each item or a specific discount to be applied to each item, both of which are clumsy and error prone. Am I missing a simple solution?

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Sorry for my long delay in responding. We moved locations in the middle of a lockdown and itโ€™s been just plain nuts around here. 

I realized that the best solution was to abandon a single HST (harmonized sales tax) and instead split that into itsโ€™ component GST (goods & services tax) and PST (provincial sales tax), and apply those to our inventory. With that in place I can de-select the PST portion for any First Nations customer at the point of sale.  Not sure how or where within the Square sale that I can document the persons Status Card identification number, but that can always be accomplished manually if need be. 

Thank you for reaching out to me, Justin. 

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Alumni

Just so I understand, you're looking to charge some buyers 13% tax while charging other qualified buyers others 8%? 

@Dave2CR

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 7

Best Answer

Sorry for my long delay in responding. We moved locations in the middle of a lockdown and itโ€™s been just plain nuts around here. 

I realized that the best solution was to abandon a single HST (harmonized sales tax) and instead split that into itsโ€™ component GST (goods & services tax) and PST (provincial sales tax), and apply those to our inventory. With that in place I can de-select the PST portion for any First Nations customer at the point of sale.  Not sure how or where within the Square sale that I can document the persons Status Card identification number, but that can always be accomplished manually if need be. 

Thank you for reaching out to me, Justin. 

Message 3 of 7

Did you ever get a proper answer - I can't seem to find a work around

Message 4 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hey, @Richard144 The workaround that @Dave2CR offered is the current way of accomplishing this process. This is currently considered a feature request, and I will make sure to pass it over to our product team for their visibility and consideration.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 7

Any movement on this yet? It's been over 2 years.

Message 6 of 7

Also interested on knowing if this was updated

Message 7 of 7