x

Is Square free?

Is square free to use if you're only doing cash transactions?

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Kingprice31-

Thanks for considering Square! 

Processing fees are per transaction and are deducted before each transfer. So you run your payment, we will deduct our processing fee, and then the rest will be transferred to your Square balance. 

You can view your total fees on a monthly basis from your online Square Dashboard. If you have any questions about this, take a look at our Fees & Pricing FAQ page

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

I run a charity thrift store in my home town.  We've recently been looking into using a tablet in lieu of our cash register.  Correct me if I'm wrong here but is square free to use if you're only doing cash transactions?  It seems to be steps above any of the competitors, including the ones that charge a monthly fee.

Message 2 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hi @DavidBa

Welcome to the Community.

You're correct. If you're using Square for keeping track of cash transactions. Transaction & Instant Transfer fees are only taken whenever a credit or debit card is processed. Learn more about Deposit Options with Square.

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 10

I was wondering how does Square get their money on a Visa Mastercard or debit transaction? Does it come right off that sale at that very instant? Or does it come out of your account at the end of the month or something like that? I need to know before I purchase this

Message 4 of 10
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Kingprice31-

Thanks for considering Square! 

Processing fees are per transaction and are deducted before each transfer. So you run your payment, we will deduct our processing fee, and then the rest will be transferred to your Square balance. 

You can view your total fees on a monthly basis from your online Square Dashboard. If you have any questions about this, take a look at our Fees & Pricing FAQ page

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 5 of 10

I have been using Square now for 3 years and I'm now being charged a $0.10 fee for Cash transactions.

Message 6 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hi @WhatsthatScoop and welcome to the Seller Community! We do not charge fees for cash transactions - only for credit card purchases. I would check that sale again to see what type of payment was accepted. If you're still seeing fees that don't make sense, I would recommend contacting Support so they can look at your account directly. Since this is a public forum, we don't want to discuss account specifics here.

You can reach out directly to Customer Success team. Here are the steps to call in: squ.re/contactsqsupport

AshleyK
Message 7 of 10

Thank you. I looked and all my cash transactions for the month of May have been charged a $0.10 fee. I will contact support today. 

Message 8 of 10

I have contacted support and the 2 different people I spoke with did not help. I'm still being charged a fee for cash transactions. One person sent me a link and it just repeated what your saying. So now I have to find time again to call back and get someone to understand what im telling them and what my machine is showing me that I'm being charged $0.10 per cash transaction. 

Message 9 of 10
Alumni

Hmm, this is a first.

Can you send a screenshot of the transaction details and the fees you see taken out? 

@WhatsthatScoop

Justin
Message 10 of 10