x

Square Reader SDK Canada

Hello Square Mods,

I am a developer building an in person payments systems for a Client in Canada. I am interested in using the Square hardware and API, especially the Square Reader SDK in order to keep the payment experience within a custom app.

The limitations on the reader sDK says that its only available to US based accounts which I am assuming means works within US only. Are there any plans to open the reader SDK to Canadian based accounts ?

Thanks,

Message 1 of 14
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Thank you @fortify - yes, that email is correct! The Python SDK is now available in Canada. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Admin

Hello @Drucker!

Thanks for your interest in the Square Reader SDK. You're right, the Reader SDK is not available outside of the US yet, but we're working on it! I can't share a timeline here in the Community but we'll post any updates as soon as they're available. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 2 of 14

Hello @Helen,

I recently saw an announcement from square indicating that in app payments were now available in Canada. 

I am confused however whether I can accept in person payments using square hardware connected to my app. Because the reader SDK is still limited to us only. 

https://squareup.com/ca/en/developers/in-app-payments

Message 3 of 14
Admin

Hello again @Drucker! At this time the In-App payments SDK is available in Canada (and every other country that Square is available for card processing: the US, Australia, the UK and Japan).

However, using the Reader SDK for in-person payments is only available in the US. We'll certainly announce updates to this! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 14

I did receive this email, is this valid in Canada?

We’re happy to announce the launch of our new Python SDK. You can use the Python SDK to integrate Square payments into your app and implement key business functionality with Square APIs like Catalog, Customers, Employees, Inventory, Labor, Locations, Orders, and Payments.

Message 5 of 14
Admin

Best Answer

Thank you @fortify - yes, that email is correct! The Python SDK is now available in Canada. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 6 of 14

Hi!  Could you please clarify..... when you refer to the term "app" are you referring to the app on my smart phone as opposed to my desktop?

I just signed up and am trying to understand all the lingo.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 14
Admin

Hello and welcome @Gernman!

This thread is about the Square Reader SDK which enables developers to add Square as the payment client to a custom app. 

Typically, here in ther Seller Community, when we say 'app' we mean the Point of Sale app that you've downloaded to your smartphone. the features you access from a desktop are called your online Square Dashboard. 

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 8 of 14

Any update on the availability of the javascript SDK in Canada?

Message 9 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hey @cube! Welcome to the Community.

No updates to give at this time but if one does become available we'll be sure to update the thread!

You should get a notification of it now that you've posted in here too. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 14

Hello there, I am following up after 2 years to see if there is any update on when the reader sdk will be available in Canada. I believe its still limited to U.S.

I am looking to build a self service kiosk in Canada and don't know if there are any other options other than the square reader sdk

Message 11 of 14

I just bought a square dongle, sit down to start writing my code to integrate Reader SDK into my app. What was my surprise to realize that since 2018 nothing changed. 2022 is outside! Hey square development team please bring us the solution. Meanwhile going to look into integration with Stripe. 

Message 12 of 14

I assume still no change?  Ridiculous this is not available in Canada.

Message 13 of 14

You should join the slack workspace lots of very helpful developers and square engineers over there that are great to work with!

Message 14 of 14