x

Tax Receipts for Non-profits?

I work for a nonprofit and was wondering how Square handles tax receipts? Can they automatically generate tax receipts for donations? Can you split up a transaction into amount eligible to a tax receipt and amount ineligible for a tax receipt? For tax reporting purposes, does the information generated after someone uses Square come back as "purchase" or "donation"?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Admin

Hello @nsobreeding! With Square you can issue digital or printed receipts to your customers.  If you add a tax to a sale the name and percentage of the tax as well as the amount of tax paid will appear on the receipt. 

It might help to take a look at the Receipts section of your online Square Dashboard. From there you can preview your receipts, and if needed you can enter custom text that will appear at the end of your receipt.

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 7

In the "item type" donations don't have a location which means I cannot go to receipts and customize the email receipt which is specifically to those who clicked to donate. Which email receipt is generated for this particular transaction and how can I customize it? 

Message 3 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hello @GMOCC.

Thanks for posting on our Seller Community!

Are you looking to send a custom receipt to donors and a separate one to regular buyers? Can I please get more details on what you would like to accomplish. Take a look at this article on how to Send Digital Receipts. If you would like to customize a receipt, you can do that in your Square Dashboard. Here is how you can customize a receipt. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seciรณn y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 4 of 7
Beta Member

Hi-

I'm wondering the same thing. I'd like to move our donation platform to Square but when we tested it yesterday there was no tax deductible receipt generated. All donations should receive an automatic receipt for their tax purposes. Is there a way to add this to only the donations?

Thanks-

farmersash
Message 5 of 7

We decided to not use the square donations and instead go with Canada Helps. It spreads out our contacts, but at least Canada Helps has a good track record, creates reports, does the receipting, and we can contact all the people through their platform. 

Just wanted to share a bit of our story in case you are looking for other options. 

Emili 

Message 6 of 7

Yes, that is a question most charities would like to know: we like to send one donation tax receipt, with our charity number etc and another receipt for sales.  How can this be done.  Some charities have been able to do so, we just don't know how they did it.  Please help.

Message 7 of 7