x

assign categories to custom amounts?

Hi there, 

At our shop we process sales for 4 separate businesses. We calculate the taxes etc. manually and then enter the total making a manual note of who the sale was for. If we have a sale for 2 or more members, we add their totals together and process that amount and make a manual note re:whose portion was what. I would like to be able to enter the individual amounts and assign a category whether for individual or multiple member sales without having to create 'items' as our stock is a lot of one of a kind items. Then at the end of the day, we would be able to see easily who the sales were for. Can I enter a custom amount and then assign it to a category as part of the checkout process? I hope this is clear. I have tried making categories and options, but can't figure out how to apply them to individual sales. If anyone can help with this I'd be very grateful. 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Square Community Moderator

Hey @kingsmillshop. I want to make sure I understand your question here. It sounds like you would like to create one item called ¨members" and set the rate to $0.00 so the item can provide you with a variable amount at checkout, this means you can input whatever amount you like. Also, you want to have the ability to add a category to the sale. Is this correct? What device/ hardware are you using? 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 2 of 15

Hi Sayra, 

I would like to be able to enter variable amounts, and then assign them to one of our 4 members. If it's a sale with items from more than one member, I would like to be able to enter something like, "$45.72 to BOB, $33.20 to VIN for a transaction total of $78.92, so that in the transaction report, I would see where each amount was it assigned. Sort of the same as on a cash register, being able to enter X amount 'books', Y amount 'clothes', etc. I don't want to create lots of separate items as we have so many variations. I would just like to be able to assign sales amounts to specific people. Is this possible? It seem like it would be but I just can't quite figure it out. We have a square terminal. Thanks for helping me with this!

Message 3 of 15

@kingsmillshop - Thanks for providing more details regarding your question. Assigning sale amounts to specific people is a feature request at this time. My best suggestion is to create an item with the name ¨Variation¨ (or anything else you would like to call it) and a variable price. You can then add a note to the sale at checkout stating who the sale is for. Once the sale has been completed, you can see the notes you've added to the sale from your Transactions tab. 

I hope this helped. Let me know if I was way off or if this is not what you are looking for? Thank you. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 4 of 15

Hi Sayra, so I could call the item by the person's name, and assign a variable price to it...that seems like it could work. To have the price be variable do i just leave it as $0. in the variations field? I don't see an option specifically for variable price.

Thanks! 

Carole.

Message 5 of 15

Hey! I'm stepping in for Sayra here. Yes, you will just need to leave the item price blank in order to have a variable price item. 🙂

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Message 6 of 15

Hi Ashley, that seems to work. Thanks so much to you and Sayra for helping me with this.  Carole.

Message 7 of 15

Hi Ashley, 

The categories are working fine, but now I need to be able to create and export a report that isolates one category. Each of our categories represents one shop participant and I would like to be able to print a report of just that persons sales/taxes/fees etc. I can't seem to isolate that information in any of the report options. Is there a way to do this? 

Many thanks, 

Carole.

Message 8 of 15

There was similar question recently answered in the threads, but it doesn't address the specific issue I have. The report that can be accessed through the item sales summary shows the sales as a total and does not show fees. I need to be able to print a list of each categories sales for a given time frame, showing the taxes and transaction fees specific to that category. I'm sure there must be a way to do it, but I cant get it to work. 

Cheers, 

Carole.

Message 9 of 15

@kingsmillshop Thanks for reaching out about this too. You're right, you can filter the category reports by almost everything but fees.

I think you will still be able to use that report for most things, but if you want an entire breakdown of your category sales then you will need to export your transaction reports under Transactions instead. 

AshleyK
Message 10 of 15

Thanks Ashley, I think exporting under 'transactions' is the best for us at the moment. 

I still have to do a fair bit of filtering and editing in the spreadsheet to create the reports I need, but at least it is possible! Hopefully in the future the square app will adopt refinements that make it easier. Many thanks for your help. All the best, Carole.

Message 11 of 15

Hi Ashley, The trouble I am having with that export the way it is, is if we have a sale that has several 'categories" which is how we are dividing individual sellers sales, even if I run it through a filter of the category name, it exports the entire transaction, and I have to go in and subtract the other 'categories' and recalculate the fees and taxes to have the info for just that person on that line. It gets very labour intensive! If we could just select all the sales in one category it would make life so much easier! The info exists in the transactions, and obviously gets specifically selected to show category totals. It doesn't seem like it should be that big of a stretch to be able to just show a category sales breakdown. Is this a functionality that is likely to be available any time soon?

Cheers, 

Carole.

Message 12 of 15

@kingsmillshop I hear you. Thanks for sharing that as it does help when delivering feedback to the Development Team. We don't have any plans to develop this at the moment, so it may be a while before you see the change you're looking for. 

AshleyK
Message 13 of 15

Hi Ashley, that's disappointing but thanks for letting me know. If you have any better suggestions for how to track sales to multiple individuals that are all going through the same account, I'd love to hear them.

Cheers, Carole

Message 14 of 15

Stepping in for Ashley here, @kingsmillshop - thanks again for your patience. Hopefully we will have some positive updates to share with you sooner than later.

Cheers.

Joe
Message 15 of 15