x

info on square terminal

hello, I am newer to square and have been using the card reader for my phone, well the issue is I need other people to be able to take cards that do not have phones that the reader can connect to plus I need to have a chip reader. the question here is does the square terminal need internet to run? where does it get service from? I dont want to order something that I cannot use. Thank YOU 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Hey @luku,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Square Terminal is a stand alone card payment device that features our Point of Sale app, card readers and receipt printer all built into the one unit, to take card payments and record your cash and other payments.

It does require internet to function! We recommend wifi or mobile wifi for the best experience. You can also hotspot your phone to the Terminal for internet connectivity, if you've got a good data plan with plenty of bandwidth it should work fine - though on the whole wifi or a mobile wifi device tend to be the most reliable methods.

Let me know if you have any questions ๐Ÿ™‚

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

So when you say mobile WiFi, can it just run on any open network 

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Hi @Shacaralyn. ๐Ÿ‘‹

Yes, it should work on most internet connections. Mobile wifi in this case refers to using your mobile device as a wifi hotspot; the device itself will use cellular data for internet service.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 4 of 4