x

Accept PIN Transactions (debit)

Accept PIN Transactions (debit)

Why doesnt square take pin trasaction when using debit cards, Instead it always runs as credit. Customers dont want to show ID when paying debit. Will the new square register from (Square) be compatible for pin based debit cards. Will square ever make this feature happen, Many Square customers have asked for it. For my slef its a needed feature. My customers are old School, Close minded. They want pin based card transactions. 

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Is there an option for customer to choose debit or credit after swiping?

You can absolutely accept debit cards with Square, and they're run just like credit cards (no pin required). Debit cards are processed with the same flat per transaction rates.

17 Comments

Is there an option for customer to choose debit or credit after swiping?

Square

You can absolutely accept debit cards with Square, and they're run just like credit cards (no pin required). Debit cards are processed with the same flat per transaction rates.

how does a customer pay with a debit card and his pin

For security reasons some people use debit cards so it requires a PIN number. Is any way to do this with square?

Square

Hi @Hafactory — It looks like I pretty much covered the same question above, please check it out above.

So the answer is no. You are not answering a the question. The proper answer is no, you can't input any PIN number in order to use a debit card. Everything is processed as a credit.

Square

@Hafactory - Apologies for the confusion. You're 100% correct. There is no way to enter a pin for debit cards. They're automatically processed as credit cards. 

So to be very clear.  If a customer presents a debit card for payment using the reader, there is nothing different I would do or the customer would do, it just automatically works exactly like a credit card.  No unique authorizations required in this situation. Correct?

Many of my customers want to use their pin and not have to sign. Are there any plans for that technology in the future?

Square

@Lshelfer - I can't offer any sort of ETA for this functionality, but I'm happy to share the feedback! Appreciate you taking the time to post. 🙂