x

How do I send an invoice and request a deposit?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Accepting deposits for photography services separate from my website]

I'm a commercial photographer. My business is mostly B2B where clients pay by check or direct deposit. But I have a few clients come to me during the year who want more consumer oriented portraits for themselves and I want to send them a simple invoice for a deposit fee so they can pay by credit card. Because of my business structure, I need to do this outside of my website. I'd just like to send people a Square invoice for the deposit that they can simply pay with a credit card. I'm hoping other people here have done this and can point me to the correct part of the Square site where I would set this up.

Many thanks! 

Nick

Message 1 of 18
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Paddlr5001!

Thanks for your post. Welcome to the Seller Community! 

You can create an Invoice from your Online Dashboard

To request a deposit within an Invoice, please follow these instructions: 

1. Go to Invoices in your online Square Dashboard > Create Invoice.
  2. Select a customer from your Customer Directory, or enter a new name and email address.
  3. Under Line Items > Customize you can add items, apply modifiers, notes, and taxes.
  4. Click Request Deposit, enter the amount or percentage, select a due date and click Save. Deposits can be requested with a fixed dollar amount or as a percentage of the invoice total.
  5. Click Send.

Once your customer receives the invoice, they’ll be able to pay the deposit first, and then the remaining balance later. If they pay the remaining balance as a check, you can also just mark it as paid. 

Please let me know if you have any questions about this, by replying in this thread! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Paddlr5001!

Thanks for your post. Welcome to the Seller Community! 

You can create an Invoice from your Online Dashboard

To request a deposit within an Invoice, please follow these instructions: 

1. Go to Invoices in your online Square Dashboard > Create Invoice.
  2. Select a customer from your Customer Directory, or enter a new name and email address.
  3. Under Line Items > Customize you can add items, apply modifiers, notes, and taxes.
  4. Click Request Deposit, enter the amount or percentage, select a due date and click Save. Deposits can be requested with a fixed dollar amount or as a percentage of the invoice total.
  5. Click Send.

Once your customer receives the invoice, they’ll be able to pay the deposit first, and then the remaining balance later. If they pay the remaining balance as a check, you can also just mark it as paid. 

Please let me know if you have any questions about this, by replying in this thread! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 18

Has the Request Deposit feature changed since this post?    I don't see that option available any longer?  

Message 3 of 18
Alumni

Steps to request a deposit for an invoice is here

@My30AStay

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 18

Hi Justin,  The Request a Deposit link no longer shows for me.    I've used it in the past.  here's a current screenshot from my account:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TqbCirGK1EWv4Lfe1_EdAvoN2jxF_gIL/view?usp=sharing

Message 5 of 18
Alumni

Hmm, curious, did you enable the new ACH Bank Transfer feature in your Invoice Settings? If so, partial payments are not accepted with ACH transfers. 

Let me know! @My30AStay

Justin
Message 6 of 18
Beta Member

WHY DID YOU GUYS REMOVE THE DEPOSIT OPTION??

That option helped run my business efficiently when I booked clients for events.

Message 7 of 18

I had to disable ACH Bank Transfers as a method of payment to bring the Deposit option back for invoices.   That solution worked 3 months ago.

Message 8 of 18
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @ARenee

@My30AStay is correct. If you're using ACH as a payment option, then deposits will not be available for your invoices. 

Here is a Support Article with more information on Deposit Requests with Invoices

Kassi
Message 9 of 18
Beta Member

Ok thank you! 

Message 10 of 18

I no longer have a "request deposit" link on my invoice section. How can I fix that?

Message 11 of 18

Hello 👋

There are two settings that could affect the visibility of the Payment Schedule option when creating an Invoice. The first one would be that no items or services have been added to the invoice and the second one would be selecting ACH as an accepted payment method (at this time ACH doesn't accept partial payments).

I hope this information is helpful!

JJ
Message 12 of 18

Wondering if., instead of clients paying the total amount for the service that they are booking for, can they pay a smaller non refundable deposit? 

Message 13 of 18
Alumni

Sure! Request Deposits with Square Invoices. Follow Isabelle's steps above! @Nailsbylilyw

Justin
Message 14 of 18

My clients give a deposit of 100$ and will pay the balance later. How do i invoice with a deposit and a balance

i use square phone app

thanks

Message 15 of 18

Hi @Mitch123 - Thanks for reaching out! Additionally, Welcome to the Square Seller Community!

I merged your post with a thread containing the best answer from Isabelle_ to your question and explains how to create an invoice with a deposit.

When looking for answers to common questions in the Seller Community, you can search using keywords - like 'Invoice Deposit' - to find relevant solutions. I hope this information is helpful but please let us know if you have any additional questions. Always happy to help!

Violet
Message 16 of 18

How does the customer pay the invoice that I email to them?

Message 17 of 18

Hello @Dpenny 👋 and Welcome to the Seller Community  

When you email the invoice to your customer they will be prompted to pay with the methods that you have allowed (Credit/Debit, ACH).  Here is more on Getting Started with Square Invoices

JJ
Message 18 of 18